Skip to main content

Walden

So I lost interest after reading about Fuller, Emerson and Douglas in the Transcendental 2021 group. I got the Jones Very biography and poems, but just didn't read them. I ended up reading Dante, and Rosewater by Tade Thompson. Went off into Dickinson instead of The Hermaphrodite. I read This is Shakespeare. And The Possibility of an Island. It's so hard for me because there is a part of me that wants to read it all. I still want to go off on the Romantics and Dickenson. But it's time for a reread of Walden. I got down to Willow Pond quite often, went down today and fantasize that I'm Thoreau.

Even though Thoreau is depicted as a bit disingenuous about being independent in the TV show Dickinson, I don't think that show is historically accurate even if it's maybe emotionally accurate on some level. 

Below is my old copy I read in college, that's I'm going to inch my way through. I hate Signet classics, but it seems I have a few.


From his journal: July 3, 1854: What a luxury to bathe now! It is gloriously hot, the first of this weather. I cannot get wet enough. I must let the water soak into me. When you come out, it is rapidly dried on you or absorbed into your body, and you want to go in again. I begin to inhabit the planet, and see how I may be naturalized at last.

I begin to inhabit the planet. I love that.


Interesting article in defense of looking at Thoreau charitably:

"Try mentioning Thoreau online, and you are likely to get several comments about his mother doing his laundry while he enjoyed his camping trip. As Laura Dassow Walls shows in her deeply researched biography, Henry David Thoreau: A Life, this accusation probably isn’t true. True or not, though, the story resonates with the way Thoreau (or latter-day Thoreauvianism, at least) makes some people feel, so it seems impervious to fact-checking."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many