Skip to main content

Transcendental Reading Group 2021



Jan-Margaret Fuller-Women in 19th Century

Feb-Emerson-Nature & Self Reliance 

March-Narrative of Sojourner Truth & the topic of Abolition

April-Frederick Douglass-his 3 autobiographies

May-Jones Very & the topics of Mental Illness and Disability

June-Julia Ward Howe-The Hermaphrodite (and/or HBStowe’s Uncle Tom’s Cabin and/or LMAlcott’s Long Fatal Love Chase)

July-Thoreau-Walden

Aug-Elizabeth Peabody-Record of a School (Bronson Alcott’s Temple School)

Sept-Sarah Winnemucca Hopkins-Life among the Piutes (ed. by Mary Peabody Mann)

Oct-Nathaniel Hawthorne-Mosses from an Old Manse

Nov-Thomas Wentworth Higginson-Army Life in a Black Regiment

Dec-Walt Whitman and Emily Dickinson (as much as we can fit in!)


I'm so psyched!

By March I was having other ideas. Maybe we should have read Frederick Douglass in February and focused women into March, Women's history month. But then I realized there was more of an emphasis on women, because the list was created by a woman--and I greatly thank her for organizing this.

I began to think there could be a year of Transcendental Poetry, or Transcendental women, or history, or African-American experience, or native american experience, or even theology. 

If I were redoing it to my tastes, I would go (maybe next year)

January: Emerson
February: Frederick Douglass, Thomas Wentworth Higginson
March: Truth and Fuller
April: LM Alcott, Peabody sisters
May: Hawthorne
June: Melville
July: Dickenson
August: Whitman
September: Thoreau, Frederick Olmsted
October Sarah Winnemucca Hopkins-Life among the Piutes, and Native American issues
November: Jones Very, Ellery Channing, Julia Ward Howe and other poets
December: Poe--the anti-transcendentalist and painters of the times, plus daguerreotypes. 
 


Links from the FB page:

Studying Thoreau: Biographies (YouTube)

THOMAS WENTWORTH HIGGINSON (Atlantic) He writes on the subject

Reading Walden podcast



Thomas Wentworth Higginson visits Emily Dickinson, “my partially cracked poetess at Amherst,” for the first time

Laura Ingalls Wilder documentary on American Masters


I'm so upset that Thoreau burnt down 300 acres. I didn't know about that. 

Margaret Fuller's books on Project Gutenberg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...