Skip to main content

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin

Gabrielle Zevin (born 1977) is a 47 year old American. She was born in NYC. Her father has Russian, Polish and Lithuanian Jewish ancestry, and his mother was Korean, came to the USA at age 9. Gabrielle grew up in Boca Raton Florida, went to Harvard and graduated in 2000. Her first novel was published in 2005. She's also written young adult fiction and four screenplays. 

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow came out in 2022. Here's what I liked about it. It felt like Sally Rooney's close up of relationships, in the game world, almost like Sally Rooney wrote a kind of Ready Player One. And there's a kind of Brideshead Revisited triangle. 

People see Zevin as a zionist, which to them means she picks it as OK for what is going on there, but I don't think we need people to denounce the genocide in Gaza to uncancel people. People have tribal loyalties, and like and dislike things, I don't see her liking her heritage as threatening. Someone wondered if she leaves ideas uncredited in her novel, and I'm not sure if you need to footnote ideas in your novel. It's a novel. I find these two criticisms easily dismissed. But my cousin's dislike of it, the Dov character going from acceptable to monster was a bit of a challenge. Just not liking a novel is the most damning thing, and I wonder why it somehow wasn't unlikeable to me. 

I haven't read a novel since April, and I was afraid that maybe I couldn't like novels any more. For me to find one enjoyable was a relief to me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

movie versus book

I'm watching the movie a second time, and I'm halfway through the book. Among the movie's differences from the book. Sortilege starts off narrating. The movie doesn't have the school bell for the phone either, just a regular ring. It's really weird the way Doc shouts when he sees the photo of Amethyst as a baby. I guess it's to dramatize the negative impact of being pregnant and using, but the child we see looks pretty healthy. The child doesn't huff out because they're boring like she did in the book.  Superficially The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice are similar but it's a completely different style of narrative. The Coen brothers are amazing, they have a very witty movie that I have loved for a long time. Pynchon is a whole other realm of fiction, and this conversion is fairly faithful, taking out the best lines and making it more compact. The audio book is 15 hours, the movie is 2 hours. Anyway, I like the different movies for different reasons. T...