Skip to main content

The Photograph by Mary Oliver

I still can see, though ten white winters lean

Between me and the flowers in your hand,

Our happiness that vanished summer day,

Our captured hope and valor as we stand

Under some trees and wave across the summer.


Infected by its margins, soon or late

All wild things fade away. See how the trees

Crumble toward nothing like the last thin scrawls

In letters of goodbye; see how the lawn

Descends nowhere; and how the luck is over

There at the stricken center where we wait

With half our smiles, and all our magic gone.


And the white terror moves on, lapping inward,

Like mist, like silence, that will take it all.

Ten years away and wondering what to do,

I search my spirit for some flush of pain.

But thought by thought the quiet moments fall.

My heart, my heart is blank as hills of snow! —

And all time leads us toward that last december .. .

I stare upon your crumbling smile and keep you.

I do not love you now, but I remember.






In a Far Summer

What can be returned? Time will not curve.

The moon, the clocks, they know the act is final.

Out of all grief or rejoicing, in the mind’s eye,

I see us there, and there, and yet again




Forever poised in the motions of a lost truth.

We have lived, we have built our own perimeters

In time, and now, in the stone grave of dreams,

Climb hopelessly the past’s unscalable walls.




I cannot give you back the thing you ask;

Nor can you, I think, who hunt oblivion now,

Persuade it to your wish. O love, we were never,

Not even for a moment, safe in that room




From the studying thieves of grief. Yet all that happened —

It wrinkled mirrors and sank beneath their surface,

Blossomed in darkness, till very darkness now

Is notebook to the dream. No, no, my dear,




You cannot fuse the finding and the failing.

— Useless to cry now how the world has altered;

— Useless to climb against those marble walls;

For time will not free us from the most fallen truth.




And though the mirrors drink now your sad, wrecked verbs,

Somewhere in the cities of the blood,

In a small room, in a far summer, we lie

And share the gift, before the disaster, of love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...