Skip to main content

Evening political thoughts


I do feel a slant in every article about Harris, they're usually disgust at something someone on the right said and sometimes they're about what she hopes to do or some bit of the story, trying to get to know her. Usually those stories suggest she's cool or hip or withit. If you didn't like her--you don't have to say why in the privacy of the polling booth. Trump calls her a liar (haha), Vance calls her a childless cat lady, other call her nasty or this or that. It really does feel like just spite to me, but I have a lot of anger towards Trump, Bush, Reagan. To want Trump is to vote for the death instinct, destruction and spite. You could maybe prefer smaller government, probably more inefficient, less bang for your buck. Or lower taxes, though it's unlikely Trump would lower your taxes. He's said he doesn't care about you he just wants your vote, but that might remind you of someone who's love you wished you had. If you vote on character, the smears about Harris might mean something to you. I vote on policy, helping people, not squandering opportunities, trying to advance culture. 

Some people don't like the paternalism or maternalism. I think most people are duped into voting against their interests, but in the choices, the Democrats often fumble, squander their opportunities too. There are unintended consequences and it's easy to dismiss criticism, but I somehow also hope to listen to criticisms from the right. I'm not really hearing any good ones, but I translate things. I somehow assume half the people lean towards not wanting federal, state and local interventions from the government. Thoreau scoffed at the crude government interventions, but he could imagine good ones too, so it's not so black and white. 

I get so angry when I read conservative writing, I really can't approach many that often, and so much of the stuff is just divisive name calling. I really do think the right is about dividing the people, pretending their strong in not doing anything. It's particularly painful to be left wing and see so much right wing stuff. I get it that people admire Trump taking on the left. 

I imagine it's the other way around too, and you can see the ire on Reddit. Liberals were up in arms about a right wing bit from NPR, they were really upset. NPR is hedging it's bets, trying not to get canceled if Trump gets into office, I bet. New York Time has become something I regularly want to cancel. I need a different paper. The Guardian is actually my favorite paper. When I lived in England in 1987-8, and 1990-1991 I tried to read all the papers, and I read the Independent quite a bit. I really think the Guardian is a blessing now, and cherish it. I miss the Village Voice. Supposedly the Wall Street Journal is the best selling paper, but I hear "Urinal" instead of Journal, and can't want to read it. I really believe in democracy, and even though I want suppression, gerrymandering and the electoral college gone, I don't want a left wing dictatorship or for conservatives to not exist, despite the troubling Trump years, the destruction of Reagan, the externalizing of internal chaos from the second Bush. 

I think Harris is going to win, and I can relax now, Trump is going to fade away, hopefully in jail, but he's fading away. Biden dropping out, now Trump looks really old, and there's so many videos of him spouting nonsense and hate. Hitler went after the disabled people first, those in insane asylums. Trump is letting his Hitler admiration slip past. He really is a weird contradiction of wannabe and fraud. 

He wasn't supposed to say Biden's name at the convention but said it twice supposedly. He has no discipline, he's just a pitch man, and only a small amount of people really like it. 73 million people voted for him in his losing effort, out of 329.5 million total people, that's quite a lot of people. So many people say they didn't like him, but they didn't like Biden even more. 

Republicans are willing to put clowns in office because they don't like government and distractions are fine. Many republican legislators just vote no, that's all they do. The trick will be for Democrats to get the house and senate, and that would really be a feat, we could stomp out quite a few fires Trump tried to light. They could impeach a few Supreme Court justices. That's what I'm hoping for. A real recognition by America that we don't want to be led by a pedophile felon rapist murderer. But he did have his 4 years. We could put him in jail but we can't take that away. And he's been a plague on the American consciousness for at least 9 years. I don't want to mention his name, but I do. He has captured my consciousness, like the rapist that he is, against my will. 

I can't really fathom why people hate Biden, he's done as good job. It would be cool if we had boring and good government. The economy is doing well. For every Republican red herring there are good advances in society, stabilizing, and progressing. Inflation is mostly beyond the president's control. In the choice between too hopeful and expecting nothing from the government, those 73 million want nothing, so they say, but really they do. And republicans vote for nothing and then take the credit for the somethings. It's a funny old world, I wish I could distance myself a little bit more. Soon I will be dead and all these politicians will be dead. 

I can now say Biden is old. Kamala is going to wipe the floor with Trump. Call her whatever right wing nonsense you want to call her. We're going to have another competent democrat president, not that felon. This election is going to be decided by the people, not the oligarchs who want tax breaks and let the country burn. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many