Skip to main content

Books


I'm listening to Geddy Lee's autobiography My Effin' Life, and in the 3rd chapter he tells his parents story during the Holocaust, coming from Warsaw Poland to Toronto Canada. What a gut wrenching story. I've read Primo Levi, and other Holocaust memoirs and novels. This chapter can be among them. His mother even had Josef Mengele take blood from her every day, she almost died from the effort.

I love Rush, saw them live in Madison on the Signals tour, 1982 or maybe 83. 

I'm reading Cultish, which is about cults and how they use language. 

That got me watching Wild Wild Country, a 6 part documentary on Bhagwan Rajneesh. What an amazing documentary, and what a kind book to try and treat this topic sensitively. 

The next section was on Jonestown and I watched this short video to remind me.

Here’s a quote I liked:

“Thought-terminating clichés are by no means exclusive to "cults." Ironically, calling someone "brainwashed" can even serve as a semantic stop sign. You can't engage in a dialogue with someone who says, "That person is brain-washed" or "You're in a cult." It's just not effective. I know this because every time I witness it happen on social media, the argument comes to a standstill. Once these phrases are invoked, they choke the conversation, leaving no hope of figuring out what's behind the drastic rift in belief.” (P.84)

I'm reading Walter F. Otto's book Dionysos: Mythos und Kultus, translated into English, in which he tries to give it as sympathetic reading of a cult in a positive sense.

I'm reading Stonehouse (Shiwu 1272–1352) poems. He's a hermit in the mountains. I love his poems, along with Cold Mountain (Hanshan 577–654?).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

movie versus book

I'm watching the movie a second time, and I'm halfway through the book. Among the movie's differences from the book. Sortilege starts off narrating. The movie doesn't have the school bell for the phone either, just a regular ring. It's really weird the way Doc shouts when he sees the photo of Amethyst as a baby. I guess it's to dramatize the negative impact of being pregnant and using, but the child we see looks pretty healthy. The child doesn't huff out because they're boring like she did in the book.  Superficially The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice are similar but it's a completely different style of narrative. The Coen brothers are amazing, they have a very witty movie that I have loved for a long time. Pynchon is a whole other realm of fiction, and this conversion is fairly faithful, taking out the best lines and making it more compact. The audio book is 15 hours, the movie is 2 hours. Anyway, I like the different movies for different reasons. T...