Skip to main content

Young Sheldon



I like this show. It's a combination of family life, special needs and brilliance.  My favorite character is Dr. John Sturgis. Memaw is a hoot too. 

I spent a month every summer with my southern baptist grandparents, so the Baptist in the south culture is interesting. Texas of course is a mystery to me, I've only landed there and changed planes, or drove away right away, but I loath the right wing politics, murder and stupid power grid. 

The show gets into real issues and it quite deep, and funny. I enjoy lots of the intellectual exploration with a human touch. I like seeing how the characters develop. Good mix of high and low culture. 

Mary Cooper sees how fragile life and success is, and tries to momma bird it all. Georgie is brash and pushes the boundaries. Sheldon is confident like a Texan but about intellectual things. Melissa (Missy) is the intuitive people person, the psychologist, but she's young and not in control of her jealousy, or sees profit in misbehaviors. Meemaw likes misbehavior, she's the opposite of Mary the conformist and do gooder. But they both are caring and giving. George is common sense, trying to be good, but doesn't get credit next to Mary. She's pushing so hard she doesn't tend to George, she sees him as a rival, except when she writes that romance novel and gets herself excited. 

TV is such a weird thing, you can be wildly popular for a time and then nothing else. 

I'm not sure if I'd watch the George and Mandy spin off, seems more like Joanie Loves Chachi.


I've watched it in the background quite a lot since my first watch. I think Raegan Revord is the star of the show. She's sassy like Memaw, she's angry caring like Mary. She's people smart. She resents being put in the position of being the backup caregiver to these pathetic males. She's totally boy crazy. She acts out to get attention in a family of fabulists. 


Man, I'm watching Young Sheldon season 7 on live TV (on my computer) and it's painful to watch so many commercials. Yesh. Commercial move the entertainment value way down. Felt like it wasn't even an episode, it was mostly commercials. Maybe I'll wait a few years to see this season, it might be worth it to starve myself instead of rush to watch new ones. 


Mary clings to family, wants to keep them safe, is alive and aware as a parent. When a child dies, she is tested to see how that's god's plans. Perhaps taking away some innocent every once in a while helps people to see how fragile life is, how conditional it is. There is no safe place to hide from death, not even in youth, in a family. 


Georgie weaponizes not being smart to do what he wants. Missy abandons the intellect, and embraces people, interpersonal and intrapersonal intelligence.


I read books sometimes and end up telling people about them. I fear I'm like Sheldon sometimes telling people about books I've read. Maybe this blog perseverates a bit...


I'm not a theist, but I liked Sheldon comforting his mother:

Sheldon: Did you know that if gravity were slightly more powerful, the universe would collapse into a ball?

Mary: I did not.

Sheldon: Also, if gravity were slightly less powerful, the universe would fly apart, and there would be no stars or planets.

Mary: Where you going with this, Sheldon?

Sheldon: It’s just that gravity is precisely as strong as it needs to be. And if the ratio of the electromagnetic force to the strong force wasn’t one percent, life wouldn’t exist. What are the odds that would happen all by itself?

Mary: Why are you trying to convince me to believe in God? You don’t believe in God.

Sheldon: I don’t, but the precision of the universe at least makes it logical to conclude there’s a creator.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...