Skip to main content

Louise Gluck poems I liked



Louise Gluck (1943-2023) born in New York City, raised on Long Island, married twice, one child Noah Dranow, who is a Sommelier. Her family was of Russian Jewish and Hungarian descent. Her father invented the x-acto knife. She had anorexia as a teen, an effort to assert independence from her mother. Seven years of psychotherapy helped her recover. She won many prizes for her poetry. She is an autobiographical poet. Thematically, her poems have illuminated aspects of trauma, desire, and nature. She went to Sarah Lawrence and Columbia but didn't get a degree. she studied with poets Léonie Adams and Stanley Kunitz. She worked as a secretary and published her first book of poems in 1968. She taught at Goddard College, Williams College, Boston College, University of North Carolina--Greensboro, Iowa Writers Workshop, Yale, and Stanford. She had a child and the relationship with Keith Monley lasted until he was 2. They didn't speak for 20 years, but later became friends. Then she married John Dranow (1977-1996). Her house in Vermont burned down. Her 6th collection The Wild Iris won the Pulitzer, she won the Nobel in 2020. In her lecture for the Nobel, she talked about the influence of William Blake and Emily Dickinson. She would also mention Rilke and Robert Lowell. Her papers are held at Yale University. She died in Cambridge Massachusetts of Cancer at age 80.


From Firstborn (1968)


Hesitate to Call


Lived to see you throwing

Me aside. That fought

Like netted fish inside me. Saw you throbbing

In my syrups. Saw you sleep. And lived to see

That all. That all flushed down

The refuse. Done?

It lives in me.

You live in me. Malignant.

Love, you ever want me, don’t.



Returning a Lost Child


Nothing moves. In its cage, the broken

Blossom of a fan sways

Limply, trickling its wire, as her thin

Arms, hung like flypaper, twist about the boy…

Later, blocking the doorway, tongue

Pinned to the fat wedge of his pop, he watches

As I find the other room, the father strung

On crutches, waiting to be roused…

Now squeezed from thanks the woman’s lemonade lies

In my cup. As endlessly she picks

Her spent kleenex into dust, always

Staring at that man, hearing the click,

Click of his brain’s whirling empty spindle…



From The House on Marshland (1976)


The Pond


Night covers the pond with its wing.

Under the ringed moon I can make out

your face swimming among minnows and the small

echoing stars. In the night air

the surface of the pond is metal.


Within, your eyes are open. They contain

a memory I recognize, as though

we had been children together. Our ponies

grazed on the hill, they were gray

with white markings. Now they graze

with the dead who wait

like children under their granite breastplates,

lucid and helpless:


The hills are far away. They rise up

blacker than childhood.

What do you think of, lying so quietly

by the water? When you look that way I want

to touch you, but do not, seeing

as in another life we were of the same blood.



Gratitude

Do not think I am not grateful for your small

kindness to me.

I like small kindnesses.

In fact I actually prefer them to the more

substantial kindness, that is always eying you

like a large animal on a rug,

until your whole life reduces

to nothing but waking up morning after morning

cramped, and the bright sun shining on its tusks.



Brennende Liebe

    —1904

Dearest love: The roses are in bloom again,

cream and rose, to either side of the brick walk.

I pass among them with my white umbrella

as the sun beats down upon the oval plots like pools

in the grass, willows and the grove

of statuary. So the days go by. Fine days

I take my tea beneath the elm

half turned, as though you were beside me saying

Flowers that could take your breath away . . .

And always on the tray

a rose, and always the sun branded on the river

and the men in summer suits, in linen, and the girls,

their skirts circled in shadow . . . Last night

I dreamed that you did not return.

Today is fair. The little maid filled a silver bowl

shaped like a swan with roses for my bedside,

with the dark red they call Brennende Liebe,

which I find so beautiful.




The Fire


Had you died when we were together

I would have wanted nothing of you.

Now I think of you as dead, it is better.


Often, in the cool early evenings of the spring

when, with the first leaves,

all that is deadly enters the world,

I build a fire for us of pine and apple wood;

repeatedly

the flames flare and diminish

as the night comes on in which

we see one another so clearly—


And in the days we are contented

as formerly

in the long grass,

in the woods’ green doors and shadows.


And you never say

Leave me

since the dead do not like being alone.





Marathon (partials, from The Triumph Of Achilles)


5. Night Song


Look up into the light of the lantern.

Don’t you see? The calm of darkness

is the horror of Heaven.


We’ve been apart too long, too painfully separated.

How can you bear to dream,

to give up watching? I think you must be dreaming.

your face is full of mild expectancy.


I need to wake you, to remind you that there isn’t a future.

That’s why we’re free. And now some weakness in me

has been cured forever, so I’m not compelled

to close my eyes, to go back to rectify—


The beach is still; the sea, cleansed of its superfluous life,

opaque, rocklike. In mounds in vegetal clusters,

seabirds sleep on the jetty. Terns, assassins—


You’re tired; I can see that.

We’re both tired, we have acted in a great drama.

Even our hands our cold, that were like kindling.

Our clothes are scattered on the sand; strangely enough,

they never turned to ashes.


I have to tell you what I’ve learned, that I know now

what happens to the dreamers.

They don’t feel it when they change. One day

they wake, they dress, they are old.


Tonight I’m not afraid

to feel the revolutions. How can you want sleep

when passion gives you that peace?

You’re like me tonight, one of the lucky ones.

You’ll get what you want. You’ll get your oblivion.


6. The Beginning


I had come to a strange city, without belongings:

in the dream, it was your city, I was looking for you.

Then I was lost, on a dark street lined with fruit stands.


There was only fruit: blood oranges.

The markets made displays of them beautiful displays—

how else could they compete? And each arrangement had, at its center,

one fruit, cut open.


Then I was on a boulevard, in brilliant sunlight.

I was running; it was easy to run, since I had nothing.

In the distance, I could see your house; a woman knelt in the yard.

There were roses everywhere; in waves, they climbed the high trellis.


Then what began as love for you

became a hunger for structure: I could hear

the woman call to me in common kindness, knowing

I wouldn’t ask for you anymore—


So it was settled: I could have a childhood there.

Which came to mean being always alone.


7 Audio from Sound Cloud


9 Marathon

I was not meant to hear

the two of them talking.

But I could feel the light of the torch

stop trembling, as though it had been

set on a table. I was not to hear

the one say to the other

how best to arouse me,

with what words, what gestures,

nor to hear the description of my body,

how it responded, what

it would not do. My back was turned.

I studied the voices, soon distinguishing

the first, which was deeper, closer,

from that of the replacement.

For all I know, this happens

every night: somebody waking me, then

the first teaching the second.

What happens afterward

occurs far from the world, at a depth

where only the dream matters

and the bond with any one soul

is meaningless; you throw it away.




The Mountain 

My students look at me expectantly.

I explain to them that the life of art is a life

of endless labor. Their expressions

hardly change; the need to know

a little more about endless labor.

So I tell them the story of Sisyphus,

how he was doomed to push

a rock up a mountain, knowing nothing

would come of this effort

but that he would repeat it

indefinitely. I tell them

there is joy in this, in the artist’s life,

that one eludes

judgment, as as I speak

I am secretly pushing a rock myself,

slyly pushing it up the steep

face of a mountain. Why do I lie

to these children? They aren’t listening

they aren’t deceived, their fingers

tapping at the wooden desks--

So I retract

the myth; I tell them it occurs

in hell, and that the artist lies

because he is obsessed with attainment,

that he perceives the summit

as that place where he will live forever,

a place about to be

transformed by his burden: with every breath

I am standing at the top of the mountain.

Both my hands are free. And the rock has added

height to the mountain.



Elms

All day I tried to distinguish

need from desire. Now, in the dark,

I feel only bitter sadness for us,

the builders, the planers of wood,

because I have been looking

steadily at these elms

and seen the process that creates

the writhing, stationary tree

is torment, and have understood

it will make no forms but twisted forms.



Cousins (from Ararat (1990))


My son’s very graceful; he has perfect balance.

He’s not competitive, like my sister’s daughter.


Day and night, she’s always practicing.

Today, it’s hitting softballs into the copper beech,

retrieving them, hitting them again.

After a while, no one even watches her.

If she were any stronger, the tree would be bald.


My son won’t play with her; he won’t even ride bicycles with her.

She accepts that; she’s used to playing by herself.

The way she sees it, it isn’t personal:

whoever won’t play doesn’t like losing.


It’s not that my son’s inept, that he doesn’t do things well.

I’ve watched him race: he’s natural, effortless—

right from the first, he takes the lead.

And then he stops. It’s as though he was born rejecting

the solitude of the victor.


My sister’s daughter doesn’t have that problem.

She may as well be first; she’s already alone.



Paradise


I grew up in a village: now

it’s almost a city.

People came from the city, wanting

something simple, something

better for the children.

Clean air; nearby

a little stable.

All the streets

named after sweethearts or girl children.


Our house was gray, the sort of place

you buy to raise a family.

My mother’s still there, all alone.

When she’s lonely, she watches television.


The houses get closer together,

the old trees die or get taken down.


In some ways, my father’s

close, too; we call

a stone by his name.

Now, above his head, the grass blinks,

in spring, when the snow has melted.

Then the lilac blooms, heavy, like clusters of grapes.


They always said

I was like my father, the way he showed

contempt for emotion.

They’re the emotional ones,

my sister and my mother.


More and more

my sister comes from the city,

weeds, tidies the garden. My mother

lets her take over: she’s the one


who cares, the one who does the work.

To her, it looks like country—

the clipped lawns, strips of colored flowers.

She doesn’t know what it once was.


But I know. Like Adam,

I was the firstborn.

Believe me, you never heal,

you never forget the ache in your side,

the place where something was taken away

to make another person.




Celestial Music

I have a friend who still believes in heaven.

Not a stupid person, yet with all she knows, she literally talks to god,

she thinks someone listens in heaven.

On earth, she's unusually competent.

Brave, too, able to face unpleasantness.


We found a caterpillar dying in the dirt, greedy ants crawling over it.

I'm always moved by weakness, by disaster, always eager to oppose vitality.

But timid, also, quick to shut my eyes.

Whereas my friend was able to watch, to let events play out

according to nature. For my sake, she intervened,

brushing a few ants off the torn thing, and set it down across the road.


My friend says I shut my eyes to god, that nothing else explains

my aversion to reality. She says I'm like the child who buries her head in the pillow

so as not to see, the child who tells herself

that light causes sadness–

My friend is like the mother. Patient, urging me

to wake up an adult like herself, a courageous person–


In my dreams, my friend reproaches me. We're walking

on the same road, except it's winter now;

she's telling me that when you love the world you hear celestial music:

look up, she says. When I look up, nothing.

Only clouds, snow, a white business in the trees

like brides leaping to a great height–

Then I'm afraid for her; I see her

caught in a net deliberately cast over the earth–


In reality, we sit by the side of the road, watching the sun set;

from time to time, the silence pierced by a birdcall.

It's this moment we're both trying to explain, the fact

that we're at ease with death, with solitude.

My friend draws a circle in the dirt; inside, the caterpillar doesn't move.

She's always trying to make something whole, something beautiful, an image

capable of life apart from her.

We're very quiet. It's peaceful sitting here, not speaking, the composition

fixed, the road turning suddenly dark, the air

going cool, here and there the rocks shining and glittering–

it's this stillness that we both love.

The love of form is a love of endings.




First Memory

Long ago, I was wounded. I lived

to revenge myself

against my father, not

for what he was—

for what I was: from the beginning of time,

in childhood, I thought

that pain meant

I was not loved.

It meant I loved.



From Wild Iris (1992)


Retreating Light

You were always very young children,

always waiting for a story.

And I’d been through it all too many times;

I was tired of telling stories.

So I gave you the pencil and paper.

I gave you pens made of reeds

I had gathered myself, afternoons in the dense meadows.

I told you, write your own story.


After all those years of listening

I thought you’d know

what a story was.


All you could do was weep.

You wanted everything told to you

and nothing thought through yourselves.


Then I realized you couldn’t think

with any real boldness or passion;

you hadn’t had your own lives yet,

your own tragedies.

So I gave you lives, I gave you tragedies,

because apparently tools alone weren’t enough.


You will never know how deeply

it pleases me to see you sitting there

like independent beings,

to see you dreaming by the open window,

holding the pencils I gave you

until the summer morning disappears into writing.


Creation has brought you

great excitement, as I knew it would,

as it does in the beginning.

And I am free to do as I please now,

to attend to other things, in confidence

you have no need of me anymore.



Vespers: Parousia

Love of my life, you

Are lost and I am

Young again.


A few years pass.

The air fills

With girlish music;

In the front yard

The apple tree is

Studded with blossoms.


I try to win you back,

That is the point

Of the writing.

But you are gone forever,

As in Russian novels, saying

A few words I don't remember-


How lush the world is,

How full of things that don't belong to me-


I watch the blossoms shatter,

No longer pink,

But old, old, a yellowish white-

The petals seem

To float on the bright grass,

Fluttering slightly.


What a nothing you were,

To be changed so quickly

Into an image, an odor-

You are everywhere, source

Of wisdom and anguish.



From Meadowlands (1997)


Penelope's Stubbornness


A bird comes to the window. It’s a mistake

to think of them

as birds, they are so often

messengers. That is why, once they

plummet to the sill, they sit

so perfectly still, to mock

patience, lifting their heads to sing

poor lady, poor lady, their three-note

warning, later flying

like a dark cloud from the sill to the olive grove.

But who would send such a weightless being

to judge my life? My thoughts are deep

and my memory long; why would I envy such freedom

when I have humanity? Those

with the smallest hearts

have the greatest freedom.




Found some stuff:

All Hallows read by her, no visual, YouTube

"The Untrustworthy Speaker" YouTube

Longer reading of poems from May 11th 2016, including Mock Orange, and poems spoken from flowers.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many