Skip to main content

Loudermilk

Isaiah 58:10: If you pour yourself out for the hungry and satisfy the desire of the afflicted, then shall your light rise in the darkness and your gloom be as the noonday. 

That's a good statement of the potential of altruism. And the priest doesn't share his sandwich with Loudermilk after giving the quote. The show alternates between compassion and callousness. 

The premise is Loudermilk used to be a rock and roll journalist documenting the debauchery of bands on tour, and then he couldn't do it anymore because he went over the invisible line.

That's what the priest quotes to Loudermilk to the filth talking substance abuse counselor. He wouldn't let him use the room in his church unless he helped a rich ladies' daughter. He has a roommate who isn't sober, and that is discovered when the wretch of a daughter lives with him to get sober.

Anja Savcic is Claire the messed up daughter. Loudermilk is played by Ron Livingston. Will Sasso plays Ben Burns, who is Loudermilk's sponsor and roommate. Laura Mennell is the romantic interest, who in a little bit of a clang, Loudermilk wants to impress with his virtue. Eric Keenleyside is the priest. I honestly don't know any of these people except Sasso, and Livingston looks familiar. 


I think it's unethical to leave someone out alone in the wilderness. Especially a woman. Even if it gave her sober time.

Recovery shows are always sensational: Mom, and My Name Is Earl. It's because they're trying to entertain. The realism comes in slowly. 


The show is really good at having people with physical differences. The one guy with the funky arms in the group and his ex-wife who lost part of her leg. There are little people, and one woman has a huge birthmark on her face. I love it. It's not your usual hollywood buff job where everyone is beautiful. 


The show plays with the callus approach and the empathetic approach. Both approaches can have their downsides and inappropriateness. I tend towards the compassionate, and you can also express your frustrations and doubt.  


Lots of good music I've put onto a playlist. 


I might just be projecting but Loudermilk's crankiness is something I identify with. I don't really connect it with Seattle, but I guess it stands out more in Seattle. The show was actually filmed in Vancouver, and just showed the needle in the first shot.


S3E4 is a great episode about women's issues. I loved it. Only a crazy show like this could pull off something like that.

I read the third season was not aired, and the 3 seasons were sold to Amazon first, and now it's getting to Netflix, which is where all obscure shows go to be seen. It was originally on AT&T, which is a paid network I'd never heard of.


I don't want to say the acting is bad sometimes, but the show kind of forces the actors be bad. I'm watching S3E5 and Claire is on a date, and he date is oblivious to her objections about drinking and obviously the script calls for him to ignore her and it's just so cringe because he's obviously ignoring her because it's in the script. I find that dramas always dumb down the characters, and force them into weird situations where they have to pretend to be something a natural alive person wouldn't usually do like ignore your date. I know dramas aren't realistic because that is the tension of the scene, the boyfriend doesn't get that she's sober. That's the tension, that's the drama. I guess I like more naturalistic dramas, this sitcom confection at times can be very very funny, and sometimes super cringe. Mostly it's cringe, but I found myself laughing when after Ben gets his wisdom teeth out, he's doing Godfather impersonations. I know I shouldn't laugh, but I found it quite funny. 


S3E6 is a fascinating episode, reminds me a little of My Name is Earl. He tries to make amends for an artist who's life he ruined with a bad review. 


It's a good show, even if it's weak at times. Three seasons was a pretty good run for it, 30 episodes. If they somehow get a 4th season, I could watch it. I don't mind how Arrested Development and Community limped along. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many