Skip to main content

Political bias



I really appreciate this article, which I disagree with: The Secret of Trump’s Appeal Isn’t Authoritarianism by Matthew Schmitz.

He suggests that the excessive claims and other noise hides the fact that Trump mostly is a pragmatic negotiator, and he suggests that gets us the best deals. 

It's true that people can take exaggerated stances publically to make space for negotiation. 

It's more complicated than that, and if the rhetoric is accompanied with insurrection attempts and a rise in hate crimes, that even if the rhetoric provides softer negotiation grounds, that it's still the wrong thing to do.

That it dismisses white supremacy and other hate rhetoric is convenient. That is overlooks so much is convenient. Humans are quite limited and simplifying appeals to people.

My political orientation sees Schmitz's orientation as quite a threat. But I really appreciate the articulation of the position for Trump because honestly to me, he's so obviously evil, I need that belief shaken. The article persuades me zero amount, but it does help me to understand the pathology of Trump support. I would argue that it's even unethical to publish this essay. 

It is a rare naked attempt to justify him that is so hidden from me in my bubble. I do not think the New York Times is so left wing, and honestly I find it astonishing this article was published there. I think the Times is right wing. 

I do think it's important to try and step out of your comfort zone of biases, but I don't think you have to live there, or overthrow you instincts. Necessarily we have biases, and pretending that we don't is unhealthy. I assume half of the people have conservative instincts, a repulsion of government. My hero Henry David Thoreau was against government, though he would admit that it wasn't all bad, and that civil disobedience had it's limits. I had friends who are more sympathetic to Trump. I have family who support Trump. It's still going to always perplex me. But I do want to hear thought about why he is good, even if I would just use it to pick apart their arguments. I still want to understand the other side.

I do think we need to come together to all the threats our society is facing, our hyper polarized political landscape is blinding us to the threats of global warming, war and basic injustices, poverty. In a way I don't think it's OK to have an ideology that brushes aside these concerns. I think the rigidity on the left is provoked by the extremism on the right, and I don't think it's an essential feature of the left to pathologize the right. If the right's policy is pathological, murderous, unjust then it might not just be a difference of opinion. But the conservative instinct isn't pathological.

I find Chaney, Christie, Romney and Haley profoundly horrible, but the fact that they can be 1% humane and rational makes them miles ahead of the other candidates. I really struggle to accept the right at the moment. I don't think they fight fair, and I don't think democrats are far left, I think they're centrists and the right is very far right these days. You could say that I'm so far left that I can't see clearly and have moved the goalposts, but to me as an American who is in his 50's, I think the goal posts were moved so much by Reagan that it's impossible to see the left and the right clearly. Moving the fight back further into history doesn't win the battle, it just contextualizes it some. My grandparents who grew up during the depression loved him. Those people who grew up when the government wasn't so big have an excuse for wanting things to go back to the way they were. Modern day Republicans don't. To me they're just mean spirited. We're not going back to Hoover times, no matter how much critics on the left called homeless encampments Biden Camps, and those on the right pick it up. Biden is like FDR not Herbert Clark Hoover. 

We need left wing candidates that know how to soothe the conservative instinct. Our administration needs conservatives in the administration for inclusion and diversity. Academia needs conservatives. I saw in Wisconsin they created a political science chair for conservatives because the fear is that it's so left in academia that it's not diverse enough. I agree. 

I still hate what Republicans have done to Wisconsin, and I think the gerrymandering and other dirty tricks are profoundly unethical. Just like Israel needs to listen to peaceful Palestinians and find some that are reasonable to work with, so too the left needs to form alliances with conservatives to work together. That has been lost in these hyperbolic times. The nostalgic past I want to harken back to was bipartisan, not partisan. Where there wasn't so much ideological insistence on the right to always be right. For there to be mainly centerists, and not so many far right hacks.

I wish Trump was just a negotiator, that would be acceptable for the USA. His racist and Nazi rhetoric can't be normalized, can't be voted for. Sorry. The success of the right has embolden them to overlook things that shouldn't be overlooked. Their stance on abortion and turning a blind eye to white supremacy will cost them. Trump's criminality isn't political, but the right is politicizing it. That doesn't make it true. Overlooking things isn't political, it's blinding. Yes, we have to make choices, and those choices are political, but come on. I'm probably just not transcending my political bias, and I hope that gives me sympathy for others not transcending theirs. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many