Skip to main content

Ashoka

You can see the advancement in technology in the beauty of Star Wars, as it evolves. In episode 4 of Ashoka that came out yesterday, you see a map overlayed at an ancient site. It's stunningly beautiful, though the sword fighting kind of distracts you, and the drama distracts you. 

There's an ex-Mandalorian, Jedi returner, with low midichlorians, struggles to find the force in Sabine Wren. The robots are evolving too, extra snark about Wren rejoining her training with Ashoka. 

Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Andor, Obi Wan Kenobi and Ashoka are all well told Samurai westerns, fantasy, and science fiction. 

I fear reading online I'll see people complain about it. Let it unfold and sit with it or don't watch it. Or shoot your knee jerk reactions into the infosphere, that's always an option. 

And you can look no farther than The Guardian to find criticism and dislike.

I get this sick feeling when I see Rosario Dawson, I remember when Kids came out and that movie made me feel sick, it was so disturbing. 


There's lots of sword fights these days, with light sabers, and in One Piece with a dude who has 3 swords. I've gotten into the quirky Anime, and modern live action remakes that were not needed. Maybe they were. Shakespeare didn't come up with plots perhaps, but reworked old stories, and reworked them well. People continue to rework his stories too. Pirates are an overworked narrative, but it dies down and comes back, because it's about adventure, and adventure is always fun. It doesn't matter that one pirate has wolverine claws like Wolverine. We're operating on the whole plane of possibility now, we're not just developing one genre, we're taking from every genre. With flashback insightful narratives that explain why people are the way they are. There is childish cockeyed optimism in the show, but it's lucky it somehow comes about. 

My big question with One Piece is, where are the fish women?


I want this labor strike to end, that has halted production of Foundation season 3. Foundation is quite a good show. It's helped me to realize why I didn't like the show, it provoked a feeling of fear in me. Something that takes the whole and refuses to look at the individuals makes me queasy.

The Hollywood executives won't give up their slice of the pie easily, even if their greed seems hubris to me. Perhaps it will be a good thing to shift away from TV back to books. I've become quite bewitched by this flourishing of great TV.  The baseball strikes killed off some baseball fans, but of course they always come back. Any step towards breaking an addiction is good for me, I'll take it. 

This Friday is the last Foundation season 2, episode #20. The production has ceased as of July 14th 2023 on the 3rd season which began in May. Not sure how many episodes they get into the can in 2 months, but it's not a whole season. I guess I'll have to read the books, but I think the show was better than the books. There are plenty of books to read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many