Skip to main content

Social media

My opinions...

I can't remember any meaningful engagement in MySpace. Just looked it up, it still exists. Supposedly people like music there. I like listening to new music on Spotify. I quit and restart when the ads come on or walk out of the room to do something. 

I downloaded Whatsapp to communicate with someone, but I let that go. I don't like FB Messenger. People I don't know try to scam me there. They even warn you about it.

I was so hoping Threads wouldn't show you people you don't follow, without asking, but yes, they do that. Bummer. So people can pay to be pushed into your consciousness. That's my biggest gripe about Twitter, you can block all the people you want, they're going to send you people who pay extra. 

Twitter is my most groomed feed, I've blocked so many toxic people it runs pretty clean now. Sometimes people put pictures of the tweet instead of quoting the tweet, to get past blocks. 

Supposedly 30 million people signed up for Threads today, and Musk is suing Meta. You can sue anyone for anything, but that doesn't mean the case has merit. Trying things is a kind of slimy way of doing business. Musk's platform lost 50% of it's advertisers because of his genius innovations,  which are really stupid. I think he's wrecking it up because the spread of information cramps his grifts. No oligarch is going to leave a well functioning platform alone, it works against them.

Facebook held out the promise of connecting with hold high school friends, and family. It wasn't what I hoped it would be. Now the joke it's for generation X.

Reddit held my interest the most, for the longest. I really like writing and I still practice my wares there. But it too has gone through some drama, squashing third party apps. I tried the app before it stopped working but I didn't experience it as superior to the Reddit one, but it didn't include advertising which you can assume signaled it's death. I don't assume you can take the content without the advertising, that's just not how the world works. That project was doomed. 

I'm not into Instagram, but it's a place for photos without the Facebook hassle. Threads is based off Insta. 

When I read that Tik Tok was Chinese, I deleted it. I don't want it anyway. YouTube has videos, and I guess Tik Tok is the twitter of YouTube. 

I blog a lot on Blogger. Tried other ones but don't like them. I'm sure Google will eventually wreck it. Nothing good lasts. 

I've gotten a little into Substack, but I don't want to pay, just like I won't pay for Medium or Wordpress. There's Wordpress.org and Wordpress.com, I can't remember which one I tried. 

Tumblr is cool, but I used it to look at beautiful photos of nature in the end, to calm down. I rarely choose to calm down.

So you can shunt off parts of yourself into various parts. Tumblr is a photo blog about my ex and daughter. Tribel is spiritual. Tribel begs too much for money and doesn't work. I can't get a SkyBlue invite. Mastodon is political for me. Twitter is soccer. FB is neglected, Insta when I'm anti-intellectual. I'm Redditing less and less. So along comes Thread and what do I do there? Why not self promotion of my writing. Why the hell not. Everything on the internet has turned into self promotion.

Then I read this really fun article in the New Yorker by Zadie Smith about Dickens. Where does that go? In the slush of Mastodon? Something new to appreciate on Threads? Do I really have to figure out a well defined social media policy? Mastodon is my slush, I can't imagine anyone cares what I post there. I put politics because nobody cares about politics. Threads is new and I'm seeing the same old posts about Chris Farley standing with his father. A new platform maybe, but there's nothing really to say. It's what's going on maybe, but there's a make work aspect to it, I've spent hours blocking people on Twitter. It's like insurance in the USA, we could cut away millions of dollars by having socialized medicine, but we prefer these leeches sucking off all this money. Social media is an attention leech, pretending to purvey information. It's addictive and unrewarding. Yet I can't stop... 


Links:

Polygon: Twitter clones, ranked: Who’s worth the commitment?

"Every few weeks, I still post on BeReal, but at this point my phone has become a graveyard for abandoned social media apps. Remember Hive? What about Clubhouse, Peach.cool, Pillowfort, and Ello?"

Best Reddit Alternatives

Twitter is burning, Bluesky is smug. Where is the best place to do your pathetic doomscrolling? Guardian


Updates: 

4/7: I have 2 Mastodon accounts, because I couldn't figure out how to get my password to my phone app. Now joining Lemmy going through the same problem, but I don't want two accounts. It wants a server for the phone version, and I can't find a server in my profile online, and the ones I guessed didn't work. Deleted my desktop account, and started with Memmy on phone, and created an account, and now I can't sign in on the desktop one. Frustrating. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many