Skip to main content

in process

I'm reading a lot of books right now. Yesterday it was Morbo, about La Liga, and I finished the chapter on the Basque teams--regional pride can easily blend into racism and hooey. I started the chapter on Barca, which was deflating, Phil Ball doesn't buy the hype and I do, so you know, disillusionment is probably good, right? 
Before that I'm reading about Thoreau who grew up in the wild west of Concord. The tragedy of Native American history has to be rewritten to be more empowering, but man that's hard given the fustercluck hand they were dealt. It's the fight against being natural and the swarming hordes. Someone told me there are probably twice as many people in the world since I've been born and that kind of freaks me out.

I'm also reading Inverting The Pyramid, a sort of history of soccer tactics from the English perspective. I didn't know there really were paying off refs in the 70's. I'm always so surprised when sports are corrupt, because I project so much idealism onto sports. The racism in Spain shouldn't be a surprise, but it is. I want really badly for my team to be good. 

The Life of the Buddha, an edit of the Pali Canon by Bhikkhu Nanamoli is in a section that write about the marks of a Buddha, a teaching I struggle to grasp relevance, and more mythological stuff. There's a tension in Buddhism between traditionalism and a more modern approach, maybe not quite literalism, but to me too close, I want to dismiss it. Personality issue. 

Gravity's Rainbow is alternately a masterpiece, and tedious, back and forth, back and forth. What is going on? The struggle for meaning is good exercise. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

movie versus book

I'm watching the movie a second time, and I'm halfway through the book. Among the movie's differences from the book. Sortilege starts off narrating. The movie doesn't have the school bell for the phone either, just a regular ring. It's really weird the way Doc shouts when he sees the photo of Amethyst as a baby. I guess it's to dramatize the negative impact of being pregnant and using, but the child we see looks pretty healthy. The child doesn't huff out because they're boring like she did in the book.  Superficially The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice are similar but it's a completely different style of narrative. The Coen brothers are amazing, they have a very witty movie that I have loved for a long time. Pynchon is a whole other realm of fiction, and this conversion is fairly faithful, taking out the best lines and making it more compact. The audio book is 15 hours, the movie is 2 hours. Anyway, I like the different movies for different reasons. T...