Skip to main content

The Mindy Project

The Mindy Project was from 2013-2017, and is on Netflix in 2023, where I'm watching it.

The humor is packed with quirky details like when her date picks her up she's shaving her arms. There have been times when I thought the structure of the situation joke was quite funny. I'm not sure how I feel about the endless small breasts and big butt jokes, but it's supposedly OK because she signs off on them. I think what equality has taught us is that it's not really revolutionary, it's just that those being oppressed are in on it. Well, it's not that dramatic, people are one thing in public and one thing in private. Not everyone agrees to be woke, some people fight for the right to be unwoke. The show is Sex and The City at a Gynecology practice, with one focus instead of 4 women. It gives helpful health education tips to defray the lowbrow horney women narrative. I'm racking my brain for the show where women are allowed to eat. Oh yea, Parks and Recreation. And every other trailblazer female. Mindy Kaling doesn't have a hollywood body, and that's great. She's the Roseanne of Americans with Indian heritage, except she went to Dartmouth. The more I start to push it, the more I sound like I'm against inclusion and representation, and I'm watching this show and enjoying it, and I can have qualms later about jokes I didn't find funny, but comedy has to push boundaries, and touch sensibilities. She's obviously talented, and that's what the show is about her talent. I applaud her. 

She references When Harry Met Sally, and Meg Ryan and Tom Hanks, but it's also John Hughes, he's the king of setting the stage for a great love reveal, after all these obstacles, and challenges, and miscommunications and the whole time you're like just get together like some yenta, but the movie teases it and two steps forward one step back, it's not exactly Jane Austin, but the movie is over once they get married so they can't get married, they have to do this long and tortured dance.

One of the weird thing of catching up on network TV sitcoms is you see cameos from other actors you know from elsewhere. When Schmidt from New Girl, showed up on Mindy, I was amazed. He was a different character. Max Greenfield is the actor's name. Winston's girlfriend makes a cameo too. 

In the end I get tired of her pretending to be a horney single career woman in New York and I wonder if the show has jumped the shark in season 3, when there are 6 seasons. I'm going to watch it all, but I'm not happy about it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many