Skip to main content

Monty Python

I'm watching Monty Python, which I absolutely loved on reruns in college. The episodes on Netflix in the USA right now are labeled 1974, and they began probably in 1969. Then they made films: Holy Grail (1975), Life of Brian (1979) and The Meaning of Life (1983). I saw the Meaning of Life in the theater, and loved it. The glutton who blows up from eating too much is just disgusting. The sexual education where the wife comes in and he, assumes the foreplay as read, is hilarious. Can we have your liver?

Since then I've consumed it over and over, watched their watered down specials, and I even think Brazil by Terry Gilliam is brilliant. I've enjoyed Idle's What About Dick?

Transvestism is absurd, religion is absurd, culture is absurd. I'm watching Cowboy Bebop and there's a quality not of exoticism of transgender experience, but just the wide range the world has.

There's black face, even if it's to make fun of the British empire, is just not done any more. Gratuitous nudity.

I don't think Saturday Night Live, even in its prime or peaks comes close to it. I Think You Should Leave just is weird and uncomfortable.

Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's guides the close, but not really somehow. 

Eric Idle has survived Pancreatic Cancer recently.

The was Monty Python takes down so many things, I think the same way that two Twitter accounts take down Trump and MAGA.

New York Times Pitchbot 

Gollum J. Trump

The Onion

Borowitz report

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...