Skip to main content

Louise Penny

I choose to blog when I have an appreciation moment. What I like about Still Life is the interplay of art and world. Some observations seemed to try to hard, and this is her first book, so it's not going to be her polished style years later, but there is sometimes better work in the earlier years, when people took more pains to make it.

I'm fairly ambivalent about mystery, and crime fiction, procedurals. I know there is a long glorious tradition. My mother, stepmother and stepfather like the genre. I'm a fan of deduction but I don't think they give enough clues, and they have decoy clues, so that it's all ishkabibble. And in modern times, there's an unfolding of the story, which can be glorious. 

I don't like the focus on figuring out a killer's psychology, I've never been interested in forensic psychology, I'm more interested in liberation psychology. I suppose it's good to know the dark side, not deny the dark side, get in touch with the shadow and all that Jungian stuff.

Then there's the element of culture. To go so granular into a place, you can learn about culture. An appreciation for the complexity of culture is important.

I love books that make me look up a lot of words. I didn't so much like that when I was younger, but now I know so many words, an author that doesn't challenge me isn't as interesting.

There's a lot of Quebec culture and French vocabulary that is fun to look up. I was going to write learn but I don't feel like I'm in charge of what sticks and I'm past the age of memorizing things.

My stepmother mentioned Louise Penny, and I respect her, so I thought I'd give her book a try. Still Life is set in small town Quebec, outside of Montreal, closer to the USA border. I won't summarize it.

Not sure yet if I'll read another soon, but I am enjoying this one, so I probably will circle back to her next book, A Fatal Grace. There are 19 so far, she seems to crank one out a year. 

Her last one was co-written with Hillary Clinton, whom I'm minimally a fan of, not some cult fuckwit who worships an imperfect politician. I read her What Happened. Made me really hate Putin's interference in the election. The USA has drifted into Russia loving (Rand Paul, Tucker McTraitor, and all the other autocrat loving, anti-democracy, foreign agents, insurrectionists). Sorry, that's what they want, to irritate liberals. Congrats douche nozzles. 

Spoiler: And the murdered in Still Life is a little like Putin. It's his fears that make him murder--that prove they were totally unnecessary. His paranoia gave him away, and made his fears come true. Putin thinks Ukraine joining NATO would hurt him, and now Finland and Sweden are rushing to join NATO to protect them against Russia's aggression (Source).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many