Skip to main content

Franny and Zooey

It's a rainy day, I was wondering what I could look forward to as I walked home from dropping off my daughter at school. I thought about how Zooey tries to articulate preciousness, how she dislike Freudian analysis, how she dislikes English professors that dismantle a text, and sell it for parts. Her boyfriend Lane is on top of the world, he got an A for a paper about the need for masculinity in fiction, a friend wanted him to publish it. Lane punctures his good feeling, he had the right girl at the right place for lunch and he was feeling great for his defense of masculinity being rewarded with an A, and Zooey just isn't buying it, and he loses that special feeling he had. 

Maybe I'll read some more, but I wonder if you can really neutralize criticism with that start of a novel. 

I watched Carrie Pilby, and she says that's a favorite book she likes to read. The movie is about a prodigy who graduated from college at 19 and was lost. She's seeing a psychotherapist. Nathan Lane plays a philandering hetrosexual psychotherapist. 

He's trying to get Carrie to be more social, less enclosed. She read 17 books in a day. Gabriel Byrne is her father. Those two right there make a film for me. I love it that it's a woman director. I read an article headline that more romance novels need to be adapted to film. I like Bridgerton, but I'm stalled in my first season rewatch to get to the new second season. I wanted a palate cleanser after watching Florida Project. That's a pretty good balance, realism and romance, realism and romance.

You can tell that Zooey could almost be against phoniness like Holden Caulfield. I wondered at the 3 book output of Jerome David Salinger. The little things I know from his biography, the lurid stuff comes through without having to read the book. He died 12 years ago.

The quest for the non-phony authentic life is real. The desire for re-enchantment after disenchantment. 202 pages of struggling to be real. Franny and Zooey is a fun book, I remember laughing when Franny throws a thrashing tantrum in the bath to be left alone.

Franny and Zooey came out in 1961. Updike liked it, but someone I'd never heard of before didn't like it. 

In my head non-phoniness is trying not to be absurd. I don't think a human can contain all the truths, so try as we might to not be absurd, hypocritical, we will inevitably be phony.

Everyone is having a breakdown, seems like they should be monks they want to be so pure and have such a refined life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many