Skip to main content

Obama's memoir

I was reading Obama's memoir when I realized all the hope and idealism that was stirred up in the campaign was just going to end in obstruction and pitched battles for sort of basic obvious things that would help others out. Sometimes I get tired of the opposition. There are times when I feel like it's a death cult that doesn't stand for anything but obstruction of the good.

But I've picked it back up and I want to work through it, because I think that's the big stumbling block with politics--handling frustration that you don't get your way. I'm trying to help my daughter with that situation, so I need to tackle it myself too.

Democracy means you don't get your way most of the time. That's probably a good thing because it's against some dictator, some fascist, some autocrat, getting their way. You have to persuade the people, even if you think you don't need to. And there will always be instances when the people's voice can be gratifying. Like when Trump told his followers to get vaccinated, and they booed him. The tail wags the dog. 

Madison Cawthorn got eviscerated by his local paperTulsi Gabbard is called a Russian asset. Liz Cheney is hoping Democrats cross over and vote for her in the primaries. You can watch videos of when Putin wanted to shake hands with people and they wouldn't. On some level the people put your hubris in check.

The conservative whine that Obama didn't do anything conveniently ignores the fact that conservatives made it their life's ambition to obstruct him. They put more zeal into that than they do into actually improving people's lives. One trait of a conservative is that their hopes get raised by liberals and is easily disappointed. It's easier for them to expect nothing, want nothing from the federal government. The abstract lives policies are saving don't mean anything to them.

Harari wrote in Sapiens that liberalism isn't a provable abstract, but I think the conservative abstracts are just as unprovable. 

I'm migrating my political thoughts over from Medium who wants me to pay for a subscription. You don't have to pay to read here.

I wish Obama a swift recovery from Covid. I've had it 2 times, and it's not fun. I've been vaccinated 3 times, so with catching it immunity and vaccinations I've done my part to squash this pest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many