Skip to main content

Wodehouse

I've always been vaguely disgusted by Bertie's worldview and way of being, though the language of the books can be fun and Wodehouse can set Bertie up for funny situations. The point is to laugh, but you have to enter into it a bit to find the effort to find the laughter. The language can be quite poetic and subtle at times.

Sometimes I get into a reading funk and don't know how to get out. I read a few pages of the 10 books I'm stalled on reading. Can't get anything going. I read a post on Reddit asking how to get out of it. I wrote: My pop says Wodehouse but I’m afraid I’ll add this book to my pile of ten books I’m half heartedly reading. I’m more inclined to Slaughterhouse Five, The Hobbit, The Sun Also Rises or Raymond Carver.

So I'm trying Jeeves in the Morning. It occured to me that there's something Quixotic about Jeeves. There's a faint hint of nobility and chivalry but he's really out to just protect himself. I googled Wodehouse and Cervantes, and found a few articles to confirm a connection. Well, maybe. Not really. Weird powerpoint shows. I searched Cervantes in his wikipedia entry and got nothing. 

I didn't know he moved to France to avoid taxes, and then it was occupied. He made broadcasts for Germany, and was seen as a traitor, and never returned to England. He went to America and lived in Long Island. He also wrote musicals with Guy Bolton and Jerome Kern, and other kinds of writing. 

His entry says some find his work flippant, and I guess that's my objection to it, but I'm looking for laugh. I suppose the form of humor is pretty prevalent in sitcoms in America, the uncovering of narcissism and vapidness is seen to be funny. That's Archer, Arrested Development. I really find it difficult to find funny sometimes. I wonder if there's humor with people of virtue. I suppose you have to take a superficial view of life to find humor everywhere, and not get too caught in meaning. He wrote for 72 years, and got 90 books. His grave is a 65 mile drive out onto Long Island.

"Richard Usborne argues that "only a writer who was himself a scholar and had had his face ground into Latin and Greek (especially Thucydides) as a boy" could sustain the complex sequences of subordinate clauses sometimes found in Wodehouse's comic prose." (Wikipedia) His 6 years at Dulwich College were the best of his life.

There's an element of expressing how drama is created by social misreadings. I bet he thinks he was unfairly misread by his compatriots by having 6 radio shows with the occupying German government in France. He moved to America. That to me feels like the pivotal moment in his life. This seeming fop is really with integrity and misunderstood. Sometimes.

He's often trying to get people married, but not himself, so there is an element of Jane Austen from the male perspective. It's the Adele fixation on love lost, and the hopes of love.

He uses the adjective dickens but he doesn't really portray the social element, except the relationship between a man and his butler. Humor might need things to be lighter if you're not a dramatist who also includes humor to help the drama.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many