Skip to main content

Star Wars rewatch for December malaise.

Streaming makes this possible. I know DVD collections are fun, my son is into collecting DVDs. I don't want clutter, and I like online access. 

There are 9 films in the cannon and "anthology films" Rogue One and Solo to make 11. 

Rogue One is a pretty good movie. I love the monk who keeps saying I'm one with the force, the force is with me. He plays the blind samurai. The force is the Tao and Jedi are Samurai. Rogue One is the essence of the Star Wars narrative, without the Skywalkers. It was set parallel to the destruction of the death star. 

Solo is about class war, and if movie could stoke class awareness, we'd have had a revolution already. Fun plot with reversals and switchbacks, interesting characters with funny lines. I do think they are getting better and better at these films. 

I cried on episode 9, the Rise of Skywalker, three times. When Ben's father reappears when he is done with the Sith side. When they hug at the end, they have collectively come together to defeat the Empire. And when Rey chooses her family to be Skywalker. I choose the good side too. I am a Skywalker.

One Two and Three were visually amazing, but somehow weird and complicated. I love Natalie Portman, not because of these films, but in general, but watching her more and more I lose my infatuation with her. I still love her mind, she's a reading vegan, lives in many countries. I hope she has found love, and fulfilment through raising her children. I wish her well. 

I thought Empire Strikes Back wasn't as bad as I remember. The first three stand up for me, but I can also see how antiquated they are. I mean 1977 is 44 years ago. 

One problem binging the 11 movies and new Star Wars Visions is that there is a lot of pew pew die. It's not a binge kind of thing, too much action. If you're under stimulated and need the stimulation you can watch one movie. 

I'm looking forward to the next movies or shows. Boba Fett starts streaming the 29th, today is 24th. So that's 5 days, one episode a week, for 7 weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...