Skip to main content

Chess

 I've played a lot of chess. I started 2 years ago. I finally said during the pandemic that I ought to play chess online. I play 10-20 games a day. It's really quite rich and exciting. I sometimes play with too many distractions around me, and lose, but I want to play so badly I'll choose it when I can't completely concentrate. Concentration is key, to think about all the moving pieces, and possibilities. There are well worn grooves of action that are created by playing a lot. If they do this, I do this, and bing bang boom, it takes many moves to get to the place where I actually have to think. I play 5 minute games which are called "Blitz" games, because they are exciting. I find 10 minute games boring at times, I lose interest. They are called Rapid. World Championship games are  

I lose a lot. I think I have to lose 10 games from not moving up a pawn to give the king options, before that becomes a standard part of my moves. I think I'll win so I don't do it. Sometimes games are like two people trying to choke each other out, and just before you pass out, the other person passes out and loosens their grip. Sometimes they are carefully built wins, with long endgames. Sometimes there are snake in the grass wins, where you're losing or just about to lose on time when checkmate. 

You get a lot of resignation games, and sometimes I rage quit, but I've also had some great comebacks, so I know if I want to keep fighting, I can sometimes get a win or even a draw.

I've turned off the chat, so people who want to talk smack or tell me they're drunk or whatever, they can't. I just interact with the chess pieces. I do look at where people are from and I really enjoy it that I've played people from 129 countries out of 195. I watch my projections and what my mind does with each flag, and remind myself that whatever little I know about a country cannot encompass that country, or that person.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...