Skip to main content

Thoughts on education in NYC in 2021

My daughter's teacher cut me off, talked over me. She had to give the whole assessment before we could discuss, but I wanted to discuss what she just said. It's fair, she wanted to get the whole assessment report out, even though they were going to be sending me the information in a letter. This is what they do, I had to adjust. Parent/Teacher conference isn't a therapy session for me, or a discussion of the larger education context. So maybe the proper form of expression is essay. Maybe we can only shine a light on our own darkness like Montaigne did.

A woman told me she knew my son when I was at the park. She's been a student teacher in his class, and he was a good student, she said. I was pleased she said nice things about my son. She said when she went to the school, and they used to be more about the arts, now it was all teaching to the tests.

I can't change schools, it's all the schools in NYC. 

I know the vague curriculum and lack of assessments my hippy dippy whole language education isn't the ideal either, but how about we let children ease into education without hopping them onto the treadmill. I was proud that my daughter could identify 6 letters, she could do all these other things and only in kindergarten. 

When I was growing up, I was competing with other kids in the school. We didn't have to compete with the world. I can't help but now it's full on North Korea, drill drill drill, test test test. There's no educating the whole person or allowing for exploration, time to settle. 

My daughter doesn't like to do her letters. There's a crying jag every time. OK, I'll trace them, and she can write over it. But I feel like maybe there doesn't have to be pressure to be on the treadmill in kindergarten. Perhaps I'm naive, but I feel like we lose something with this approach. We lose childhood, coming to things in your own time, and many other things. What we gain is more specific assessments, and hours of homework for a kindergartener.

I didn't even bring up that they put someone else's homework in her homework folder. And I wanted to talk about what pressures they were under? To always be just assessing, and drilling. No deviation. Our conversation was the same. I wanted to ask larger questions, but that wasn't what they wanted, and they controlled the conversation. I could have ended the google meeting, but I wanted to hear what they were going to talk at me about anyway. I was thinking more about how angry I was, but they were just doing their job. 

It's a larger question of our society and how sick it is. Schools contain the same illnesses we have in society but there's a kind of idealism, where you hope it's just maybe a notch better. You wish there wasn't violence, but some schools need metal detectors. You wish there wasn't teen pregnancy, but there is. Places where they give contraception away free has a lot fewer abortions and teen pregnancy, but that goes against the people who are stingy, and don't want to give anything away even if it saves money ultimately for the government. We've got a very confused and sick society and that's going to be reflected in our schools as well. So what do I expect? 

I like to be healthy and whole, evolve, and start healing. Drill drill drill, test test test.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many