Skip to main content

Not wanting to read



I saw a great picture of Margaret Atwood, and I thought I should do a read through of he work. I loved her Shakespeare's Tempest book, Hag-Seed, and I liked Handmaid's Tale, which won the Arthur Clarke Award in 1985. I like the Netflix version of Alias Grace. She has poetry, and non-fiction as well. She's perhaps one of the prominent Canadian authors.

Then I thought about how I'm struggling to read these days. Perhaps I'm getting older and the energy expense is harder. Also when I read I'm easily turned off by writing. Some might be bad writing and some might just be impatience, and the idea that there's not much under the sun I haven't seen.

I wonder at my bizarre push to read 52 books a year for the past 30 years. There was a kind of stoical just push push push. It was a weird ambition that has never really paid off for a career or for anything. I've always had a vague fantasy to be a writer, and to be a writer I think you should read a lot, but I think my 3 books are vague fanfiction and unpublishable niche. I don't write for recognition.

I remember in college with all the reading I would often read something that wasn't for a class, just to declare my independence and love of reading. 

I remember the day someone was throwing out books, and at 16 I didn't like the idea, so I reached in and grabbed a book, to save at least one. I read Slaughterhouse Five, and started a love of reading adult books from there.

I'm reading Mona Awad's All's Well, about a pill popping in pain professor at a college trying to get students into a production of All's Well That Ends Well. I tried to restart a second complete Shakespeare read and I've stalled on the first one. I've thought about reading Dickens, but the 2021 group was a spinoff of a Shakespeare group, and I'm not if there is one this year. I launch all kinds of ideas about reading and I order lots of books from the library that I never finish. When I do finish a book, I'm not sure if I can recommend them. I mean I liked The Godfather of Kathmandu but it wasn't great. I like reading along themes, but streams dry up and I have to switch theme or author or genus. 

I have lists of books to read but honestly I can live without ready a small fraction of them. 

I've really enjoyed my reading life. It's quite possible I'll have decades and decades more of it, and it's quite possible it could end at any moment. Life is fragile and uncertain, but I'm not sick, though I feel myself getting older.

My sons let me read to them when they were going to bed, but at one point their phones were more interesting or they collapsed exhausted. My daughter doesn't want me to read to her. So many books I want to read to her, but she doesn't want it.

John Lennon sang, "Nobody told me there would be days like these," and I think that quite a lot. To get to the point in life where there are few reliable roadmaps isn't uncommon. We're all freestyling it. Maybe I'll stop being a reader, that's OK, I'm not super invested in being a reader as an identity. Maybe I am a little bit. I'll just keep monitoring the situation. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many