Skip to main content

Ranking The Star Treks

The Ranking top to bottom, best to not as easy to watch.

DS9: Deep Space Nine (176): I can't help but think this one is the closest to Shakespeare.

STD: Discovery (42): The new series completes the set of representation, now we need Hispanic and Asian captains. Putting gays and non-binary has been wonderful in the show. Tig Notaro is a great move. Now that we've checked those boxes we can get to the story telling. I see people online who dislike it. I found it quite compelling. Time travel, alternate universes, immediate travel, environmental tragedy, it's really pushed the limits of Star Trek. Just like some lame TOS show that was cutting edge at the time, this one will be appreciated.

STV: Voyager (172): This was the one that made me fall in love with the ethos. Beautiful actresses don't hurt. The rewatch reviews on Tor.com are interesting, detailed, and have comments.

STE: Enterprise (98): Great continuation, too short lived.

STP: Picard (10 episodes so far): Kind of reminds me when everyone clapped when Star Wars The Force Awakens came. It was such a relief to see. It's great to see him. 

Lower Decks: Trying to capitalize on the amazing animation we have today, but this feels too much like Futurama, Simpsons, Rick and Morty, Archer. There are some places you should just not go. I still love it because it's Star Trek. And I love animation. 

STNG: Next Generation (178). The second hardest for me to watch but if I watch them all, I start to like it about 2/3 through. 

TOS: The Original Series (79 episodes). It started them all, but is the hardest for me to watch now. The quicker it divorced itself from Roddenberry, the better. Flawed founders. 

TAS: The Animated Series (22 shortest run of complete shows). Haven't watched it, sorry, but not interested. Maybe just to complete the series. Maybe I should give it a try. Started in 1973 though, it's hard to imagine it's cutting edge in that time.


When I look at the Wikipedia entry, I see Strange New Worlds is coming out, and Prodigy. Picard, Discovery, and Lower Decks are still ongoing.

I think the excellence around Star Trek has raised the level. Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, Farscape. Science fiction writers are finding more and more amazing ways to tell stories.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many