Skip to main content

It's going to take some time to get used to

The genderless pronouns and sibling instead of brother or sister for a monk for Sibling Dex in A Psalm for the Wild-Built is going to take some getting used to. In a way the gender construct has some information to the degree that people cling or reject it, and to get a blank feels weird. I mean I want a post-gender world where gender doesn't matter. 

The book uses "they" instead of him or her or she or him. And that makes me think of plural, like there are more people around instead of a monk of some moon in the future where there are gods we don't recognize. 

Sex of course is a biological thing and that marks biological female and male, but that doesn't mandate anything about femininity and masculinity which are social constructs. If men work they can drink and punch walls. Women can be dependent and express feelings. Those are social ideas of being. 

Transgender experience is puzzling, and really might be the last prejudice to overcome. I don't think we're overcoming the other prejudices very much but there's some progress. I have a hard time imagining not wanting my penis and wanting a vagina. Yes, I know non-op male to female trans don't chop off this dick either. That's another strange choice, I mean you're only female to a degree. I almost feel like they're not committed enough, but I would never presume to prescribe or tell people how to feel. I am curious. How do you see it, how do you feel? I have a hard time imaging having a vagina and wanting a penis. Chopping off your breasts. People do it, and it feels right, they don't regret it. I want to hear more experience. I've read memoirs and articles, but I could always read more. In a way it doesn't matter how much I don't get it. What is important is I want to sympathize, and for me I respect people's experience. The notion that I can somehow be righteous and over ride people's experience is offensive to me.

Even more amazing is relationships where people change gender, and stay together. Married to a man, now you're married to a woman. I mean talk about loving one's soul and not outward forms. Not getting hung up on labels. 

I would probably say I'm politically non-binary, I don't think society gets to genderize sex, if someone doesn't want it. But to each his own. Some embrace traditional notions and that works for them. They will be suffering when they meet people who don't find those ideas useful, but at least they have tradition on their side. Maybe they can be open to non-conformity even in their conformity. You could be traditional and tolerant to non-conformity. The freedom from is also the free to. The protectiveness of males can be sweet if there's no price tag attached. The mothering of women is sweet if they're not somehow forced into it, it's obligatory. 

So those are my thoughts reading the genderless pronouns attached to Sibling Dax in A Psalm for the Wild-Built as I start this hope-punk sci-fi novella by Becky Chambers. I wonder what else I will think.


Link:

One Trans person doesn't think Chapel is funny.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many