Skip to main content

workin' moms

I didn't want to like it, but I just watched the first season and I'm obviously going to keep watching it. Catherine Reitman is wonderful, all the characters are so well done. I love reading Wikipedia, I learned that her brother directed Juno, a favorite movie of mine. I did not know that her husband in the show is her husband in real life. I love Canadian shows.

Of course it's overly dramatic, but I've come to realize to make a TV show "slow burn" isn't always the way. I didn't have Netflix for a year and I honestly don't feel like I missed much. I watched season 4 of Atypical. But I guess I'm back on the Netflix train. 

Christ I just realized it's Sex In The City, except with Children. I like that show too. It's like Friends after they all get married, and separate off into their own domestic worlds. I want to say it's like Thirtysomething, a show I didn't really watch much, but it's a middle age with children sitcom. I'm sure there's a market for that. 

And of course it perpetuates the middle class values. Since my tumble down the economic ladder, I see how middle class everything is. Not a lot of poverty and poor depictions. I guess that's too depressing and anyway we judge them, push them away. Those poor people. I just read the Robin Williams put it in his contract that they had to hire a certain amount of homeless people. I think that's a cool move, on an individual level. I'd like to get away from our society needing heroic measures and just have systematic support.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...