Skip to main content

humbling

This one hit hard because that's the book I'm writing; I Would Very Much Like to Have Sex With Someone Who Does Not Want to Have Sex With Me, Causing Me, a Character Who Is a Middle-Aged Writer, to Think About Other Reasons I am Unhappy by Men

I don't want to have sex with someone who doesn't want to, but at 54 my looks have significantly faded. I used to get looks from women, and now I don't. It might be more than age.

The title is from a provocative article in Jezzebel. It points out that women are mostly the readers of books, and jokingly say men have only written 6 books, one of which is the above title.

There's an article that about dating when you're older, and it has the following quote:

"Wishful and magical thinking create the need to meet an emotional virgin, which does not exist, unless the date is beamed here frozen, in hibernation from age 10, or younger, from another planet."

I don't think that is true, I do find people's histories interesting, I find older woman more interesting.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

movie versus book

I'm watching the movie a second time, and I'm halfway through the book. Among the movie's differences from the book. Sortilege starts off narrating. The movie doesn't have the school bell for the phone either, just a regular ring. It's really weird the way Doc shouts when he sees the photo of Amethyst as a baby. I guess it's to dramatize the negative impact of being pregnant and using, but the child we see looks pretty healthy. The child doesn't huff out because they're boring like she did in the book.  Superficially The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice are similar but it's a completely different style of narrative. The Coen brothers are amazing, they have a very witty movie that I have loved for a long time. Pynchon is a whole other realm of fiction, and this conversion is fairly faithful, taking out the best lines and making it more compact. The audio book is 15 hours, the movie is 2 hours. Anyway, I like the different movies for different reasons. T...