Skip to main content

My thinking has been so uptight

I'm reading Nonduality by David Loy. Not an easy read synthesizing eastern and western thought throughout history. But I'm on the chapter of nondual action and I've been thinking about what is going on in the USA politically. My experience is that Donald Trump, Marjorie Taylor Green and the rest of this kind of dada power grab cohort, Moscow Mitch, have really put the liberal imagination under attack. Government isn't about doing the most good to the most people. It's about what you can block and what you can take. It's about proving that government doesn't work because they don't make it work. It's about disruption. Maybe that's an open possibility for the time being. I'm quoting The Dude when I say that my thinking has been really uptight. 

And we can torch the earth, unwilling to take responsibility for it. There's a great line in Battlestar Galactica, the cylons keep asking, why the humans never ask why they think they deserve to live on, not become extinct.

Added bonus, here's a map of countries that recognize Palestine in green


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...