Skip to main content

Beirut, Lebanon



I've been going to places via the internet, by looking at videos (lots of ads, hope he makes money), listening to music (Fairuz, Spotify), and reading Wikipedia pages (Beirut). When I first googled Beirut, the videos were either songs or protests, it took me a while to find a walking tour. 

My idea that there has been conflict there is from the civil war that was there 1975-1990, which the Taif Agreement began to end. "...the United States, have frequently placed Lebanon, and Beirut in particular, on their travel warnings lists due to the many car bombings and orchestrated acts of political violence." Eight percent of the tourists are from the USA. 

"In Travel + Leisure magazine's World Best Awards 2006, it was ranked the 9th best city in the world." Then the 2006 Lebanon War broke out, a 34 day military conflict. "Cosmetic surgery is a major component of medical tourism in Lebanon."

In 2020 a ship blew up.

I'm listening to Fairuz: "She claims that the hieratic nature of her performances is because she is singing as if she were praying."

I like the cooler weather, so I'd spend January and February there. Los Angeles is it's USA sister city.


Literature:

Top 10 books about Lebanon (Guardian, Naji Bakhti, author of Between Beirut and the Moon.)

(Writers from Beirut.)


Past Past Places I visited via the internet

Cork, Ireland

Milan, Italy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

movie versus book

I'm watching the movie a second time, and I'm halfway through the book. Among the movie's differences from the book. Sortilege starts off narrating. The movie doesn't have the school bell for the phone either, just a regular ring. It's really weird the way Doc shouts when he sees the photo of Amethyst as a baby. I guess it's to dramatize the negative impact of being pregnant and using, but the child we see looks pretty healthy. The child doesn't huff out because they're boring like she did in the book.  Superficially The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice are similar but it's a completely different style of narrative. The Coen brothers are amazing, they have a very witty movie that I have loved for a long time. Pynchon is a whole other realm of fiction, and this conversion is fairly faithful, taking out the best lines and making it more compact. The audio book is 15 hours, the movie is 2 hours. Anyway, I like the different movies for different reasons. T...