Skip to main content

Commercials and "free" streaming

Cut the cord but probably watched more TV online without commercials. I hate commercials, except they do give you time to go to the bathroom, and hunt for snacks. Well, cost cutting measures by the person I was leeching off, no Netflix, no Amazon Prime. Down to Disney Plus and I've already seen Mandalorian and I can't get into WandaVision. Star Wars Rebels isn't bingeable to me, but I'm slowly chipping away at the cannon.

Someone mentioned My Boys on Twitter, and I remembered I loved that how. I love the ensemble romcom. I've spent time in Chicago. I like sports.

But it's on Crackle and I get commercials. Ugh. Now I know the Trulicity guy. Yikes.

I'm worried the meat commercials are going to challenge my veganism. I'm getting squeezed in more than entertainment, food is scarce. But if you believe in truth in advertising, the soughdough king only has one patty unlike the ad that has 2, and is 2 for $6 in NYC, not $5.

Another problem is that Crackle unframes the show every episode so you have to get up every 22 minutes, plus commercials to re-maximize the screen.

And in a 4 season show, they only have two seasons. You can't go off the show when a commercial is playing, on your computer, to a different tab, it stops. Crackle sucks, but if you don't have any other options it's OK for a few days.

Here's my satire of warnings for a medication:

Don't take if you'd put a car up your butt like Stevo in that one Jackass episode.

Don't take if your family is debating on whether to pull the plug on your life support machines.

Don't take if flaming diarrhea is a forest fire risk in a dry season.

Don't take if you have flop sweat on blind dates. 

Don't take if you butt snaps. 

Don't take if you have harry farts.

Don't take if you're wondering what the meaning of life is all about and you're questioning everything you once held sacred. 

Don't take if you think the meaning of life is 42.

Don't take if you've unfriended someone on Facebook within the past 72 hours.

Don't take if you don't like the Star Wars movies or Star Trek, because they're straight up dope and you're just not a human being if you don't like that shit.

If you knees start bleeding for no reason, stop taking Trulicity immediately.

If you talk about butt sneezing hysterical deafness, unwelcome night running and dusty semen you watched too much New Girl and consult a doctor. Keep saying to yourself Mex Fox is not that hot.

May cause dizziness, sexual nightmares, and sleep crime if you're a Liz Lemon fan.


Tubi is another free service. I couldn't watch Grounded for Life, ended up watching Guys and Dolls. Fewer commercials. 

Lexx is a weird show. The Wikipedia article says it's in the top 25 scifi shows, at 23, but the article is from a British Scifi magazine, and well, you know, they're British so their scifi standards are lower.

The commercials were more sophisticated science fiction than Lexx. Weird. Guess we know where production values go to. 

I watched Ida (2013). Beautiful movie. It won best foreign film, and many other awards. It felt uneasy like the digging into the past of Poland about the Jews during WW2. The cinematography was amazing. Fascinating movie, I'll have to watch it over and over. I kind of wanted it to end at (spoiler) the funeral. Agata Kulesza is amazing as Wanda Gruz. Agata Trzebuchowska is wonderful as well.


Pluto TV has things going at all times. Lots of weird possibilities. 


The Roku Channels have McLeod's Daughters which must be good because they did 8 seasons of it, 224 episodes and a telemovie.


IMDb TV looks good, maybe the best of the bunch. They have Corner Gas the animated show. I liked Terra Nova, the family science fiction.


Plex includes Crackle. I'm starting to see the same movies on all these services.


Not going to review free if you enter a credit card scams, for a measly week.


In the end, there's a reason things are free. The fantasy of the free internet is well past. The glory of advertisement TV is what drove me away from TV. Perhaps I should stay driven away.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many