Skip to main content

Station Eleven

Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel is a post-apocalyptic novel set in the near future in a world ravaged by the effects of a virus and follows a troupe of Shakespearian actors who travel from town to town around the Great Lakes region.

I read Salvation City recently and The Plague by Camus long ago and can't remember. I've read a fair amount of post-apocalypse sci-fi, pulse waves, nuclear war. They dropped a bomb on district 13 in Hunger Games.

I love Shakespeare, read through all the plays and poems recently. To pair pandemic with Shakespearean troupe is cool as an idea to me. The execution reminds me a little of The Road and some of Octavia Butler's novels. Also there quite a few flashbacks to before the apocalypse. While there's rehearsing of lines from the play, I guess I'm less of a quote lover, and more of the whole gestalt of the plays. Anyway, cool presmis. 

I'm taking effexor and I don't think I would kill myself the way the person does. 

One of the things that makes it unique as a post apocalypse novel is that it kept flashing back and forth to before and after. 

It was a little like Sense 8 connecting all the stories, well maybe not, but I don't know how to express it. 

I've read a lot of apocalyptic sci-fi and that's a pretty high quality one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...