Skip to main content

Sojourner Truth



She was born Isabella Baumfree (1797–1883) and Dutch was her first language, and she was born 95 north of NYC in upstate NY. She was owned by 4 separate slave owners. She fell in love with a slave on a neighboring farm, but was not allowed to be with him, but eventually married and had 5 children. Her owner promised to free her if she was a good slave, and then didn't. She escaped in 1826, taking only an infant and leaving other children behind. Her children were sold in the south, illegally. She went to court and won the right to have him back, a monumental case. She traveled speaking about abolition and joined a Christian religious cult that thought Jesus was coming back. When he didn't arrive, she distanced herself from the cult. She also worked as a housekeeper. She dictated her story to Olive Gilbert and in 1850 William Lloyd Garrison privately published her memoirs in 1854, the year Walden came out. She had a speech entitled "Ain't I A Woman?".


Links:

Sojourner Truth Project

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

movie versus book

I'm watching the movie a second time, and I'm halfway through the book. Among the movie's differences from the book. Sortilege starts off narrating. The movie doesn't have the school bell for the phone either, just a regular ring. It's really weird the way Doc shouts when he sees the photo of Amethyst as a baby. I guess it's to dramatize the negative impact of being pregnant and using, but the child we see looks pretty healthy. The child doesn't huff out because they're boring like she did in the book.  Superficially The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice are similar but it's a completely different style of narrative. The Coen brothers are amazing, they have a very witty movie that I have loved for a long time. Pynchon is a whole other realm of fiction, and this conversion is fairly faithful, taking out the best lines and making it more compact. The audio book is 15 hours, the movie is 2 hours. Anyway, I like the different movies for different reasons. T...