Skip to main content

Hunger Games

Tale of Genji is a long haul and I needed a swift read. I read half of Hunger Games last night. Here are my thoughts:

In a way it's a perfect adolescent narrative about the hypocrisy of adulthood, the contradictions of adulthood, the absurdity of adulthood. Parents have clay feet if they live, or become heroes of mythology if they die.

The novel goes from natural to artificial, similar to that of the passage from childhood to adulthood. Then it's back to nature, but as an adult, it's cutthroat, literally in this novel.

Susan Collins has a knack for names. What great names. A masterclass on naming characters. 

Also there's a real feeling of controlled narrative. Things could expand or get obsessed with, but she doesn't bloviate. Crisp tight plot narrative. She allows Katniss to summarize what might have been off putting if we'd really gone close into her thoughts.

Reading the book with Katniss the narrator, I began to think Jennifer Lawrence wasn't a good actor. She is too flippant. She could not carry the depth of conflicts. But it's not her fault she's acting, and not narrating an inner dialogue. I realized they are different mediums, books and movies, and that is no more starkly shown here. A book has all kinds of details. Movies are visual, less internal monologues. Books have more, but movies less is their virtue. I can't help but see the actors since I saw the movie first, and wish I'd read the book first, though then I would have been really disappointed with the movies because they can never live up to the book. The movies are wonderful in their own way.

But am I getting off on the drama, the romance? Am I complicit in the appreciation of the drama? Even though it's fiction, there are plenty of real scenarios where the drama is entertaining. The raise of reality shows isn't for me, but it's hugely popular. We can join Katniss in hating the murder, but what are we doing about the people who are dying in today's hunger games?

Shakespeare really invents the human as Bloom suggests, but so often we don't know what characters are thinking, drama doesn't have the internal monologue so much, though there are soliloquies of the hero and heroine in the plays. Novels can follow a first person narrator into their depths. I really wish Shakespeare would have taken to novel writing in his retirement, I'm sorry he died so young at 52. I'm 53, and I've just started writing novels (not very good ones I grant you, too self indulgent).

My transcendentalist reading group, that spawned off Shakespeare 2020, is starting with Margaret Fuller. I'm not sure how closely I'll follow this reading group. I lost interest in reading all of Dostoevsky, and grinding all the time, but I think I'll be jumping around more. Reading Hunger Games is a palate cleanser to all the grinding on hard books I've been doing. There's something to be said for sci-fi young adult adventures. I love Hatchett and Adam of the Road. I have no shame reading young adult fiction.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many