Skip to main content

The Violent Bear It Away

The Violent Bear It Away is by Flannery O'Connor. It is her second novel. She published 3 short story books and 2 novels. Today it amounts to 3 books with the stories collected into one volume. 

I'm also reading Flannery: A Life of Flannery O'Connor by Brad Gooch. The Gooch. She was briefly famous as a child for teaching a chicken to walk backwards.

"I ain't worried what my underhead is doing." p. 171. I guess the underhead is subconscious, or maybe the thinking mind, or the observing ego. Who knows. I google scholar-ed it and came up with nothing. Tarwater is the kind of American that says he's going to do things and not talk about it. The introvert who has some thoughts, but doesn't want society to interfere with his vision of what he thinks he knows. A Trump supporter. 

I'm not a Catholic (I'm a Buddhist), but I do sort of like her exploration of the wounded atheist struggling to fight off Christianity. Makes me think of my father, who points his fingers upward at god, and makes me think that he is strongly reacting against a repudiation of god. I'm just not interested enough to repudiate. To me god is either transcendental and remote or it's an evil activist god. God made free will and therefore isn't accountable to the evil in the world just slides back to the remote transcendental god that pressed the button but doesn't do anything else. 

And I've spent my summers in the bible belt with Baptist and Episcopalian grandparents. So these southern gothic stories resonate with me, flesh out something I almost want to try and say. I felt a kind of sweetness in Wise Blood, perhaps something transcendentally spiritual or all-spiritual, that I can appreciate. 

I also like the craft of her sentences. I never really knew what people meant when they said they liked the writing style. I like plain and simple, but it turns out plain and simple is not that easy and writing clearly is not that easy. 

Links

Free electronic versions of the book

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...