Skip to main content

Moby Dick


 

I just searched for Moby Dick movies, and Amazon Prime has a few versions of the movie. 

1. 1998 version with Patrick Stewart.

2. 2010 one has William Hurt, with 3 episodes. Also on YouTube in one shot

3. 1956 version by John Houston

Here is a list of all the adaptations.

Many nights I fall asleep to Moby-Dick. There's an excellent reading on Librivox, which is free.

I took a class in college, and I read Redburn, which is another awesome nautical novel by Herman Melville. Later I read Moby-Dick. I need to reread it. Reading his bio, I'd like to read White Jacket. Seems like he had an up and down career, wasn't appreciated, took a job and wrote poetry. 

Last night I got the idea. The white whale is Jesus, just like unicorn is Jesus. A unique animal is Jesus. The white whale took Ahab's leg; The problem of evil.  Ahab is going to solve the problem of evil by killing Moby-Dick, killing god. Not sure if that lines up. 

From the Wikipedia page of Moby-Dick: "Matthiessen finds debts to Shakespeare, whether hard or easy to recognize, on almost every page."

I just finished reading through Shakespeare after 26 months and 11 days. Quite a journey.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

movie versus book

I'm watching the movie a second time, and I'm halfway through the book. Among the movie's differences from the book. Sortilege starts off narrating. The movie doesn't have the school bell for the phone either, just a regular ring. It's really weird the way Doc shouts when he sees the photo of Amethyst as a baby. I guess it's to dramatize the negative impact of being pregnant and using, but the child we see looks pretty healthy. The child doesn't huff out because they're boring like she did in the book.  Superficially The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice are similar but it's a completely different style of narrative. The Coen brothers are amazing, they have a very witty movie that I have loved for a long time. Pynchon is a whole other realm of fiction, and this conversion is fairly faithful, taking out the best lines and making it more compact. The audio book is 15 hours, the movie is 2 hours. Anyway, I like the different movies for different reasons. T...