Skip to main content

Wise Blood

There is the book, which I'm currently reading. Suddenly (page 93) I realized she was portraying the vacuity of southern masculinity. The negative example, the anti-hero. What not to be. And yet you recognize it more than you would care to admit. He's also an atheist in the Bible Belt. He talks about having a church of the no Christ. Then he becomes Humbert Humbert. But then he has O'Connor's sexuality and wafts away, avoiding intimacy, pushes away the teen who tries to crawl into his bed. There's a kind of lack of intimacy in every character, nobody is really wanted or powerful in any real way. Haze is schizoid. Isolation. 

Wikipedia writes: "O'Connor states that the book is about freedom, free will, life and death, and the inevitability of belief. Themes of redemption, racism, sexism, and isolation also run through the novel."

There is a movie. It's for a fee on Amazon Prime. The cool thing now is that when you search a movie, they will tell you where it's available online. Free on Netflix is best. I have found amazing things temporarily available during the quarantine. Amazon Prime has a treasure trove of interesting documentaries on Joan of Arc, Napoleon, Harriet Tubman and all kinds of Shakespeare. These turbulent times have gotten me back to reading the classics.

I still think Trump Virus will typify these times, but soon the Republicans can criticize someone who is trying to do something instead of defending a donothing. Some of their memes are so lame. I was thinking about creating a bad meme website. It's like some oblivious school kid stuck two pictures together and wrote some text for a 4th grade alternative assignment.

I'm not sure what to think about some of the canceling going on about Flannery O'Connor. She has characters in the south, which was racist, sexist, and other nasty things we imagine we are past today. I never got the idea that she was putting some idea forward. I'll have to read her letters. 

It seems that she is like Graham Green, there's an underlying Catholicism. Wise Blood is like the hero in Thus Spake Zarathustra, went into a southern town almost. It is like Portrait of an Artist except the author is a believer. I read nuns teach Portrait of an Artist to show that even if you repudiate Catholicism, it's etched into your soul. Not that O'Connor is on the level of those two, a great thinker or a great prose poem writer.

O'Connor was a believer, and you could probably assume she supported all the status quos of the south for the great generation. I had 2 grandparents who lived in the south. My grandpa Bell was from NYC, the son of a German immigrant who scrubbed floors. He was a military man and where he lived was just another post, though he was retired. In his boredom of being retired, he wanted to spend time with his grandson. The next door neighbor had a child the same age as me. Roger Rogingcamp. Not sure if I spelled the last name right. He was a preacher's son. I was the son of a logic professor who bunked his father's baptism. His father, Grandpa Parks, was a minister. My father is always talking about god, rejecting god, but always talking about god. I'm an atheist, and I find it a rather boring topic. I tried to read Karen Armstrong's A History of God, but I stalled in the mysticism chapter, it want into old theology I wasn't aware of and somehow didn't expect. It was pure gibberish. 

Wikipedia says FO'C writes with a grotesque style of writing. "O'Connor said: "anything that comes out of the South is going to be called grotesque by the northern reader, unless it is grotesque, in which case it is going to be called realistic.""

"evolve around morally flawed characters, frequently interacting with people with disabilities or disabled themselves"

Another southern novel comes to mind, A Confederacy of Dunces, which I've tried to read 4 times and can't get out of the first chapter. I really need to commit, like I committed to Wise Blood. I have to throw it down and walk away, but I pick it up the next day.

Printing this early so it's a draft in progress, beware of updates.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many