Skip to main content

The complete stories of Flannery O'Connor



The short stories of Flannery O'Connor book starts out with unpublished stories, her 6 stories for her masters degree. So what you get is a kind a "see the artist develop" start to the book. You can see that she has finely crafted her sentences, she is not just a writer, she is also a great editor of her own work. But this book is everything we could get our hands on. I wonder if there is a 5 best stories book. You can get the way they came out her 2 books with short stories. 

She gave us 4 books of art. Digestible is part of the appeal of her oeuvre. There's not an overabundance of writing about her. I'd be curious to see what other famous writers she got to know there.

I began to trust her. She will not make careless mistakes, or disappoint. There is nothing worse than being partially abandoned by a writer. There is a movie out about her. In some ways a project you could get sucked into is the idea that she is part of the cannon. Her racism wants to push her out of the cannon.

She does not have charity of the spirit the way Thomas Merton did because she would be judged racist by our modern standards , but there is a kind of universal spirituality. She may claim it's Catholicism the way Merton would too, but they both don't make it gaudy. They avoid the stuff that pushes me away. In a way, that is the greatest spiritual gift. To not push people away from the spiritual life. So many of them do.

It frustrates me no end that she cannot see her connectedness to African-Americans, or maybe she couldn't hold that insight. In the south it is a convenient target for feelings of disgruntlement. Sometimes I can't figure out what I am that is not disgruntlement. It's too everywhere for me to place negative thoughts.

Great art does two things to me. I want to do art too--that feeling comes to me while reading it. Why did it take me so long to find this writer--is another thought that comes to me, a signal that this is classic stuff.

She went to Iowa's Writer Workshop in 1946 when she was 21. World War 2 was just over. The next year my mother would be born to the boomer generation. I can't get into generational conflict, but I live with my partner and daughter. I know when you kill your father you take over and all that crazy stuff. Now you become the one defending the castle instead of laying siege. 

"The Geranium" is a perfect portrait of a racist, including 22 uses of the N word. I cringe, can't say the n word. Somehow I am so disgusted by the word. But it's the narrative of a racist. It's quite a meditation on racism. I can seen now why the one book on her that's not her biography is about trying to rehabilitate her, regarding racism.

She published from 1952 to 1965, and her books aren't coming off copywrite like Philip K. Dick who began publishing in 1952, but churned out the works.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many