Skip to main content

Hamilton

I've been listening to the soundtrack to Hamilton for quite a while. I live in the city where it is being done, but I'm not rich enough to go see it. My son went to see it with his school, and he was really disappointed because inferior actors were playing the parts, compared to the sound track.

I'm listening to the audio book of the biography of Hamilton. Of course a Broadway play is more about mythmaking and drama than history, so to compare the two is absurd. The Broadway show will not be historically accurate.

Somehow a hip hop Broadway show about a founding father is amazing in the hands of Lin-Manuel Miranda. I'm looking forward to In The Heights too. I haven't mustered the attention to listen to the whole thing, but some like that more than Hamilton. Outside how enjoyable this show is, America loves someone who has become fabulously wealthy. He's become a superstar. What you can do in America. Create perhaps the best Broadway show of all time, and you don't need to get parts in movies, you make them for yourself. The perfect self made man.

Of course nobody does anything in a vacuum. He's had some help, and acts in a show with many others. One thing to notice is that the founding fathers are minorities! It's a cool way to rewrite the myths, to include everyone.

The first thing I notice about the movie, I watch at 7am the day it comes out on Disney Plus, is that it's slower than the soundtrack. Where I have to rush to sing along with the soundtrack, I have to slow down.

The audience is a big help, they laugh at the bursar joke. They love the "The Schuyler Sisters" sass.

Seeing it is different in many ways. The words are so evocative, I almost think seeing the faces and choreography and performance are a kind of distraction. It's the opposite of opera where I really need all the cues to understand what is going on. It is like an opera that is goes through so many moods, and is long. Sitting in the seat of a live performance guarantees you will sit through the whole thing. At home I stop it many times to do things for my daughter who is 4.

Injecting the hip hop aesthetic into the Revolutionary War is perfect, it is a time when putting yourself forward boldly will pay off, and you can socially advance through heroism in war.

I love the line, "when push comes to shove/ I will send a fully armed battalion/ to remind you of my love."

I listened to the soundtrack while I worked overnight at Amazon, lifting heavy packages and sorting them so we could put them in vans to send out to people's houses. Without that job, I might never have gotten through the whole thing. When I do dishes, I usually stop much earlier. Imagine me crying at the sadness of various aspects in the second half of the show, in the early hours of the morning, working away. I listened through all the amazing moods from youthful ambition to love to marriage to society to douls to affairs, to politics, to building a country.

The first thing added, not in the sound track, and probably developed along the way in collaboration was to have Hercules Mulligan be the flower girl. The Wiki has 455 entries.

My daughter didn't like the dress colors in "Satisfied". Did you know there were tracks that have their own entry on Wikipedia? She was telling me I was singing too loud. I bellow through this stuff, and she can't stand it. I get goose bumps.

The French also like hip hop music, so it's cool there is an early French revolutionary as well. Lafayette's full name is Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette. "He became convinced that the American revolutionary cause was noble, and he traveled to the New World seeking glory in it."

Thomas Jefferson is a gas. Cabinet meeting as a rap off is great!

Christopher Jackson sings that song about letting go of power so well.

This version was done in 2016. In a way I'd like the track the success of this show the way you track a hurricane. It's 2020 now and we're in the midst of a world changing pandemic. Many lives have been changed or lost. I was just reading that a Buddhist author lost her brother to Covid-19. You can feel her grief through the interview.

It's no small thing that one of my best friends from high school was named Hamilton. He had a massive heart attack and passed away 6 months ago. Reading his wife's grief on facebook is heartbreaking. Thinking about his children and his brothers and his parents in their grief is heartbreaking. My friend was a true American like Hamilton, and had the same last name. I don't think there was a known connection to him, but you know, we can all trace our genes through Hamilton of the Broadway Show (and we're all Skywalkers too).

What a cast:

Lin-Manuel Miranda as Alexander Hamilton
Leslie Odom Jr. as Aaron Burr
Phillipa Soo as Eliza Hamilton
Daveed Diggs as Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson
Renée Elise Goldsberry as Angelica Schuyler
Jonathan Groff as King George III
Christopher Jackson as George Washington
Jasmine Cephas Jones as Peggy Schuyler and Maria Reynolds
Okieriete Onaodowan as Hercules Mulligan and James Madison
Anthony Ramos as John Laurens and Philip Hamilton



Reading Lists:

Left Bank Bookstore

Publishing Conglomerate

Danvers Library (Danvers Massachusetts)

Kids List

Adam Gopnik

Wikipedia

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Character list of Inherent Vice the novel

Fay "Shasta" Hepworth played by Katherine Waterston in the 2014 movie Larry "Doc" Sportello: Our hero, gumsandal.  Shasta Fay Hepworth: Former beautiful love interest. Mickey Wolfmann: Real estate tycoon, Shasta's sugar daddy, paying for apartment in Hancock Park. Mrs. Sloane Wolfmann: wife. Has her own side piece Mr. Riggs Warbling Deputy DA Penny Kimball: lawyer from district attorney office, who fooled around with Doc for a time. Works next to Rhus Frothingham (female book, male in movie).  Aunt Reet: Aunt in real estate. "Bigfoot" Christian Bjornsen: Hollywood detective and actor. Married to Chastity. Spoiler: His partner Vincent Indelicato is wacked by Adrian Prussia, but Puck did the actual job. Mrs. Chastity Bjornsen: Gets on the phone on page 260 of the paperback to defend Bigfoot's day off from work. Calls Doc Mr. Moral Turpitude, accuses him of running up Bigfoot's mental health bills.  Denis: friend who he goes and gets a pizza with

Democracy or democrazy?

Admittedly the choice between corrupt democrats and corrupt republicans isn't the political choice I want. I'd rather vote my way towards fairness, elimination of poverty, anti-trust laws that fight the consolidation of corporations (you read about grocery stores lately?), education, infrastructure. What you do get is a vote for democrats that vote to end rail strikes ( source ) because they can't carve out of the profits a sick leave, versus reality denying, Russian bought, obstructionists who might lower taxes, and want smaller government. The Ron Swanson's of the world who hate government and work in government. I've been running into people who believe the corrupt choices aren't worth even making. Reasons not to pay attention.I've thought that a few times in my life, but I don't think that now.  There are real choices about health care for women, and even just an attitude towards democracy. It's hard to fight past the rhetoric, and understand eve

Consent

You couldn't have a better title to a memoir in these times. You can read about Humbert Humbert, and other male narratives, but the female narrative of the statutory rape is fulfilled by this book. I feel slightly ill while reading this book. What she goes through is off, and it's hard to put a finger on it besides  Hebephilia . All the collaborating details from her mother, to her doctors, to her father. Vanessa Springora will be remembered for other things, she is a director and a publisher. I'm not sure if  Gabriel Matzneff will be remembered for other things. At least not on this side of the pond. I do have a kind of jealousy for the appreciation of the intellectual life in France.  Matzneff cites Lewis Carroll , and others as having the appreciation for youth. I read his Wikipedia page. That led to other questions about photographers who take pictures of their children. That led me down a creepy path. As much as Springora tries to not make it sexy, I wonder how many