Skip to main content

Re-Coil by J T Nicholas

The steady churn of books becoming available to me from my library electronically makes me wonder at my book choices, though I also like the removal of choice beyond putting books on hold. All of a sudden they are coming available at once, so I have to go back in the line for some of them. I listened to the amazing 1493, a big history book.

Re-Coil by J T Nicholas made me think I could write science fiction. I guess that's what I want to do, but my first novel wasn't universally praised though might have been read by as many as 4 people. Maybe I'll keep writing it, or pick up the 5-6 novels I started but dropped. Or start a whole new one. Not sure what inspires me.

There is also the interesting question, what is identity when it's not connected to a body, when consciousness can be transferred by technology. Death is erasure of backups. Death is losing some of the time on a "branch". In Altered Carbon it's called a stack, in Re-Coil it's called a coil. In Re-Coil the identity is marked to a random collection of purchase receipts. I'm pretty sure my amazon history could mark me out distinctly through bodies. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...