Skip to main content

Saara El-Arifi



Saara El-Arifi wrote Cleopatra. Now I'm not one to chase Cleo, though I have quite enjoyed Shakespeare's Cleopatra and Antony. I have read some history on her, and I do like things set in Egypt. I like Hatshepsut after going to the Met Museum, and read the wonderful book by Kara Cooney. I loved her book on what we know from archaeology, and what we can speculate wisely about based on an expert, and what we don't know. I felt her book had epistemic character, and telling the truth and being epistemically transparent is important to me now.

I even like Death on the Nile by Agatha Christie, looking at the old monuments along the river. I know I'm casting a wide net, too wide of a net, but it's become a category in my head. 

I want to get that all out into the world so I don't force it on people in the book club. I'm blasting through this book because the book club is coming up soon, and I'm determined to go to a black and brown women's book club in person, even though I'm a white guy. Not because I feel like my perspective is important, because I think their perspective is important. And this book will be interesting in reaching for imaginary understandings, based on human speculation in a novel. I like all the kinds of knowledge, not just nuts and bolts history, not just novel imaginations. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...