Skip to main content

The pile



This week I'm reading my pile, not focusing on one book, moving on when I get tired of what I'm reading.

I start my day with Blind Owl by Sadeq Hedayat. A surreal, dark, and cyclical novella about a pen-case painter caught in an opium-induced state of alienation, heartbreak, and madness.

Reread some of Meeting The Buddhas by Vessantara on the Vajrasattva sadhana, and he pulls up short, you need a teacher to get this full sadhana. This is a book for understanding Tibetan Buddhism and the panoply in their mythology, which you can use to supercharge your understanding of Buddhism.

Rereading Boundless Heart by Christina Feldman. It's not a robot's disinterest, it's human not getting too caught up on the results. Sort of the opposite of capitalism that measures and expects and demands profits. She doesn't say that, I'm riffing off her. She dwell in the brahma viharas of metta, karuna, mudits and upeksha. 

Reading Itivuttaka for the first time. It's a small anthology, often packaged with the Udana. Trying to round up and read all the things I haven't yet. I was jammed the other day when it said that the Buddha had no feelings. So what did he do with the feeling part of his brain? I don't think that can be true that he had no feeling, he just was fairly positive and wasn't upset easily. 

Reading Shakespeare by Peter Ackroyd. It's quite good, not sure why I hadn't read it before. I remember reading a review of his book on Dickens when I lived in England, maybe he took too many liberties? My memory is foggy, but the negative impression perhaps might have been a factor in my avoiding this book. Well, I got to it anyway, and it's really good book. I'm only on the 5th chapter. I'm really fascinated by the book, but it's hard to read more than a chapter at a time for me somehow. I'm never going to finish this before it's due, going to have to return and check it out again. I'm going to have to stick with this one.

The River In Me by Sister Dang Nghiem is pretty intense plain poetry, the trauma.

Also Devotions by Mary Oliver, Rumi and some others. That's about half my pile, but hard to get lower.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...

movie versus book

I'm watching the movie a second time, and I'm halfway through the book. Among the movie's differences from the book. Sortilege starts off narrating. The movie doesn't have the school bell for the phone either, just a regular ring. It's really weird the way Doc shouts when he sees the photo of Amethyst as a baby. I guess it's to dramatize the negative impact of being pregnant and using, but the child we see looks pretty healthy. The child doesn't huff out because they're boring like she did in the book.  Superficially The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice are similar but it's a completely different style of narrative. The Coen brothers are amazing, they have a very witty movie that I have loved for a long time. Pynchon is a whole other realm of fiction, and this conversion is fairly faithful, taking out the best lines and making it more compact. The audio book is 15 hours, the movie is 2 hours. Anyway, I like the different movies for different reasons. T...