Skip to main content

Things that I ruminate over

I read that Afghanistan they banned women singing in public (NPR). What is the mental state, and the assumptions in your head that makes that a possibility, and in a society, what makes that a possibility. It's not clear whether they can sing on Twitter. Supposedly they want to boost the economy with tourism. What kind of woman wants to go to a country where she can't sing in public if she wants?




I read the other day that a fellow didn't eat for 382 days. He did it while he was in a hospital. He had vitamins and yeast, and put milk and sugar in his coffee and tea towards the end. He lost He lost 276. People had to push him through the door of a bus to go to a soccer game, and that is what led him to realizing he should lose some weight. He went 48 days sometimes without pooping. They began to break the fast by giving him sugar water, so if you count that time, he went 392 days without solid food. Barbieri had his first solid meal on 11 July 1966: a boiled egg and a slice of buttered bread. He said "I have forgotten what food tasted like ... I thoroughly enjoyed it".




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...