Skip to main content

Fleishman is in Trouble

The lead character reminds me of my cousin, the way he talks. My cousin has a twin and they're similar in ways, but to me they are very different. I've always been able to tell them apart and some people can't.

Fleishman is in Trouble has Lizzy Caplan who was Nick Miller's girlfriend (as a role) in New Girl. I like her as an actress and the two roles she's played that I know. I thought she was Zooey Deschanel's twin, and I thought she had a twin, but she has a sister who acts on Bones. 

I've never cried as much as I do in this show. After I watched the first one, I had the guts to watch Marriage Story (2019) which I'd avoided watching. I guess I need more catharsis because it really hurts to watch these shows.

I love it that he's non-materialistic, even if it's a sort of a pose. I love it that Josh Radnor plays the ball and chain husband after being the star of How I Met Your Mother.

At the heart is the friendship of the 3 people over a life span.

My situation is different but somehow similar enough for catharsis. 

I've watched 6 and there will be 8. 

Oh my goodness, episode 7!!!!!!! I had to pause it because it was so upsetting--like every episode, I can't get through a whole episode without breaks to prepare myself emotionally. 


I listened to a podcast of Lizzy Caplan that was fun, on Fresh Air.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...