Skip to main content

Islanders win, Mets lose, Nets lose, soccer is soccer with a million tournaments

I watched the Mets game. I don't think I've watched a whole game like this in awhile. Lucchesi pitched well, after he gave up a run in the first inning. Paraza blasted one out in the 5th, with a man on. And that led to the disasterous 7th inning. Familia was pitching more than he'd ever pitched and he loaded the bases so Barnes could give up the grand slam for Tatis. Mets chipped back to make it 3-7 in the end. I picked the wrong game to watch, I thought, but when you love a team, you watch the losses. They won the series 4-3 with a tough team, great bullpen, but lost the last one in a kind of out of gas stinker. They had a pitcher bat in the 9th inning to get the last out. Three pitch strikeout. 


I'm gradually getting into the Islanders. They beat the Lightning in the first game of the conference finals, next round is the Stanley Cup. Barzal got the first goal and Pulock the second. Tampa Bay got a goal with a minute left by Point. 

The Canadiens are playing the Vegas Golden Knights in the other final.

The Islanders won 4 Stanley Cups in a row in 80, 81, 82 and 83. They are coached by Barry Trotz, the 3rd winningest coach in the NHL behind Scotty Bowman (retired 2002) and Joel Quenneville (Florida Panthers). They are up 1-0 on the Lightning who eliminated them last year.

My ability to get interested in the Islanders means I'm not too into the Rangers. I do quite like the Rangers and really think they're going to make the playoffs next year. We're still waiting on a head coach announcement.


The Nets lost. Kyrie Irving went down. There's some question about whether Antetokounmpo went under him. Durant got 16 point in the 3rd quarter as the "lone superstar" with 4 other teammates. Antetokounmpo seems to run downhill, he's a one man fast break, except when he's doing the alleyoop. The series is tied 2-2.


Check out my sports blog.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Introduction

Robert B. Palmer's introduction to his translation of Walter F. Otto's Dionysus: Myth and Cult (p. ix-xi) Gods of Hellas, gods of Hellas, Can ye listen in your silence? Can your mystic voices tell us Where ye hide? In floating islands,  With a wind that evermore Keeps you out of sight of shore?                                     Pan, Pan is dead. ELIZABETH BARRETT BROWNING The Dead Pan W H E N Elizabeth Barrett Browning wrote these lines which sound so pessimistic and so limited to any lover of the beauty and truth of Greek mythology, she had in mind a famous passage out of Plutarch's De Oraculorum defectu {Mor. 419 A-E) in which it was reported on good authority that Pan had died. But let Plutarch tell the story (Philip is speaking):  As for death among such beings [i.e., deities], I have heard the words of a man who was not a fool nor an impostor. The father of...