Skip to main content

Outlander Season 1

I tried to watch Hunger Games after reading the book, and I was quite disappointed, the impressionistic visual drama doesn't convey the emotion and the depth of the story the novel does. I know that's a cliche. I've thought about reading Outlander, but Netflix has been pushing it on me for a long time. Of course I was glad to see Caitriona Balfe's beautiful body at age 33, when she claims to be 27 in the show, but my housemate is getting rid of Netflix and I have no money, so I'm not going to be able to watch it all in the next two days. There are 5 seasons and a 6th in production. I'll read the books for free at my library. But I must say that Caitriona Balfe is very beautiful and I'd probably turn gay for Sam Heughan if he wanted me (So improbable as to be impossible).

I'll report back if I read the books.


Links

Meaning of Sassenach (Town and Country)

Wikipedia

Caitriona Balfe (Wikipedia)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

movie versus book

I'm watching the movie a second time, and I'm halfway through the book. Among the movie's differences from the book. Sortilege starts off narrating. The movie doesn't have the school bell for the phone either, just a regular ring. It's really weird the way Doc shouts when he sees the photo of Amethyst as a baby. I guess it's to dramatize the negative impact of being pregnant and using, but the child we see looks pretty healthy. The child doesn't huff out because they're boring like she did in the book.  Superficially The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice are similar but it's a completely different style of narrative. The Coen brothers are amazing, they have a very witty movie that I have loved for a long time. Pynchon is a whole other realm of fiction, and this conversion is fairly faithful, taking out the best lines and making it more compact. The audio book is 15 hours, the movie is 2 hours. Anyway, I like the different movies for different reasons. T...