Skip to main content

Dostoevsky



I read Poor People. It was his first book, and conveys the sort of desperate plight of poor people. It is an epistolary novel. 

I like his kind of "person on the verge of a nervous breakdown" kind of writing, people on the edge. It's kind of gothic. 

His biography could be a novel. Dostoevsky was saved the last minute in a firing squad like it happens in his novels. He was sent to Siberia. He was married twice, his second wife outlived him.



Links:

Fyodor Dostoevsky (1821 – 1881) (Wikipedia)

Dostoevsky 8 episode series in Russian with subtitles (Amazon Prime)

The Idiot (YouTube)

14 minute video biography (YouTube)

Professor Jordan Peterson (YouTube)

Dostoevsky Studies Journal

Dostoevsky Society

Dostoevsky in Saint Petersburg

Complete Books

Can Dostoevsky Still Kick You in the Gut? by David Denby in the New Yorker 2012.

Irwin Weil on Dostoevsky

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Silo

This is a dark show that I'm reluctant to watch. Slow burn with reveals along the way. Lots of padding and important small details you have to pay attention to, which sometimes I don't because I'm looking at my phone. The TV competes with the phone. Either I'm playing chess, or another game, or surfing for news about my favorite soccer team NYCFC. They're supposed to sign some new players and can register them tomorrow, but the team usually doesn't do things in a timely way, they're messy.  The first few episodes of the 10 episode first season are about the sherif and his wife, played by Rashid Jones .  Then there's like a buffer action episode where the generator almost goes kaput. Then it becomes Longmire, a woman sheriff who doesn't know the protocols and rules, and doesn't care, she just wants truth and answers.  Everyone lives in the Silo, it's huge and mysterious and you can't have relics, things from the past, that might clue you i...

Manet and Degas

  Brilliant video explaining the exhibit. Go to the Met and see the exhibit! It's really quite special.  In the last gallery the painting this sketch is based off of, of the execution of a Mexican president. The painting has been cut into sections, and the surviving Degas has reassembled them. NY Times review

movie versus book

I'm watching the movie a second time, and I'm halfway through the book. Among the movie's differences from the book. Sortilege starts off narrating. The movie doesn't have the school bell for the phone either, just a regular ring. It's really weird the way Doc shouts when he sees the photo of Amethyst as a baby. I guess it's to dramatize the negative impact of being pregnant and using, but the child we see looks pretty healthy. The child doesn't huff out because they're boring like she did in the book.  Superficially The Big Lebowski and Inherent Vice are similar but it's a completely different style of narrative. The Coen brothers are amazing, they have a very witty movie that I have loved for a long time. Pynchon is a whole other realm of fiction, and this conversion is fairly faithful, taking out the best lines and making it more compact. The audio book is 15 hours, the movie is 2 hours. Anyway, I like the different movies for different reasons. T...